I use a 120mm f/5.6 Schneider macro lens on an Arca Swiss M-line2. Would you not be limiting yourself without a bellows? Unless you are purchasing the Alpa macro adapters (expensive). I do own and use an Alpa Max and it is a beautiful camera, but I would not use it for macro work. Here is a recent shot with the Schneider Digitar 120 macro lens. This is a single image with no focus stacking. I am currently working on a portfolio of macro flowers and have just started focus stacking, but I do not have the time at the moment to finish one for preview. Best of luck with your camera purchase.
Darr
(http://cameraartist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/lily_3358.jpg)
Thank you for answering and for the magnificent photo, I visited your site just a few moments ago and was impressed by your work.
Yes, I did come to the conclusion that a studio bellow camera would be far better, more flexable for macro work on Orchids and also more feasable financially. Guess, I have more research to do. I am curious, did you try your Alpa with the Schneider 120? Yes, you answered my question by stating that you are using an Arca Swiss but still...
{Thank you for the compliment.}
No, I did not purchase the Schneider 120 macro Digitar in an Alpa mount--that would be way too expensive for me. I own two Alpa lenses, the 43mm and 72mm since I use my Max for landscape work. Besides, I use a bellows camera for macro work--have been since the '80s. ;D
Here is a quick focus stack of 26 shots with the Schneider 120 + A/S M2 + P45 + a bit of softness added. It is the first time I have tried this technique using Zerene Stacker. When you shoot MF digital, dof is about 1/4" at best I think, so if Macro with MF digital will be new for you, keep that in mind and try using Zerene or similar software. Zerene Stacker (http://zerenesystems.com/stacker/) gives you a full version to try free for 30 days--they will get my business.
(http://cameraartist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/20110425-purple_lilies.jpg)