Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: jeanlucco on February 04, 2011, 12:56:48 pm
-
All, I've got the opportunity to check during the next two coming weeks two bodies Leaf AFI + two backs AFI7II and various lenses (3x50mm, 2x80mm, 1 macro 90mm, 1 zoom 60-140mm).I will try to shoot as much as I can and try to check al main vital functions. Do you some ideas/check lists/advises on the critical issues (dead pixels, connections, AFD,.....). Thank you in advance. JL
-
Latest firmware is 3.10a3. Along with this upgrade, camera internals are also upgraded, so you definitely want this revision if you can get it.
Beyond that, I can't think of anything else to look for, besides the obvious.
Hope that helps,
-
Hi Brad, seems to have the 1.9.3 :-\ May be this can be fixed by Sinar. Apart of this all in order and functioning, will start tomorrow to check all.
-
Getting old, firmware is 3.10A omn the body, I was looking at the back. Feel better.
-
I always check each lens for proper aperture movement and shutter function at fast and slow speeds and for focus. I have seen fungus in a small number of lenses so worth looking with a flash light through the optic. Check to see that the proper EXIF is recorded to the files.
Are both kits for sale?
Eric
-
Glad to hear your cameras are up-to-date. If they hadn't been, yes, DHW could have updated them, for a fee.
I just thought of something regarding the backs, too. Apparently, the (now defunct) Leaf Photography's backs have serial numbers beginning with LF. The (Phase-owned and living) Leaf Imaging's backs have serial numbers beginning with LI. My understanding is that the former backs will not receive further firmware updates, whereas the latter will. (Source: Phase/Mamiya/Leaf User Forums (http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9154&sid=b6ee0d32d6e38c4412191284c30328a4)).
Best of luck to you!
-
Brad, both backs are LF, at least I know that the backs are fitted with the latst one. At a certain point, firware cannot bring more huge improvements without hardware modifications. Sometimes I regret the old time where it should have take you 5 minutes to check an old Blad, even better an old Mamiya Press where OK.
-
Succeeded to shot approx. 2500 pictures with both bodies and all lenses, so far nothing bad to mentioned.
- 2 x 80mm work fine, as expected.
- 90mm macro, razor sharp, very impressive, should buy the full set only for this weapon.
- 3 x 50mm, work fine but not impressed, mainly because I shoot from short distance in our small studio.
- Zoom 60-140mm, big monster requiring a steady tripod unless your name is Superman. Difficult to get constant focus shoot. The learning curve is very flat and requires patience.
- 2 x AFI7II backs + 2 bodies AFI: no problem, I need new batteries, power consumption is worse than my V8.
I enjoyed to shoot tethered via Phase One 6.1 + Capture Pilot. I will make more testing this week, but seems that I will go for the full package and will put for sale two of the 50mm. I will keep you posted.
-
the 90mm is very very sweet. Definitely the jewel of the crowd.
the 60-140 is huge and heavy. It's a substitution to your gym membership. Very sharp lens. I do have a problem with the lenses......an error message will pop up on the AFi whenever the lenses is plugged in. It will still function properly though. I learnt from the repair shop that this is a common problem for this lenses (same problem with 6008). I was advised not to do anything with it as long as it still functions. Quite annoying indeed.
Battery life very poor for AFi. I carry 6 batteries around for a day of shooting. Can easily use up 3-4. And they do not function well under cold weather. Am referring to minus 10 or lower. Canon & Nikon, no problem, for me, I need to carry an external batt around and keep it inside my coat.
-
Thanks for sharing your testing results with us.
Were the 50's you had AFD versions or ???
-
I assume the 50mm lenses were all the f4 versions?
-
the 90mm is very very sweet. Definitely the jewel of the crowd.
the 60-140 is huge and heavy. It's a substitution to your gym membership. Very sharp lens. I do have a problem with the lenses......an error message will pop up on the AFi whenever the lenses is plugged in. It will still function properly though. I learnt from the repair shop that this is a common problem for this lenses (same problem with 6008). I was advised not to do anything with it as long as it still functions. Quite annoying indeed.
Battery life very poor for AFi. I carry 6 batteries around for a day of shooting. Can easily use up 3-4. And they do not function well under cold weather. Am referring to minus 10 or lower. Canon & Nikon, no problem, for me, I need to carry an external batt around and keep it inside my coat.
There are a lot of jewels in this crown. While the 90 is a fine lens, the 80 AF is just remarkable as well. The 150 - eikther Telexenar or the Schneider-on-the-bellows has remarkable qualities as well. And the 40 recently has emerged as a good companion to the AFI.
The big boys- the zooms and the PC - are heavy artillery. When you need them, they are valuable. Can't imagine a use for the zoom, given its size.
As to lenses and error messages - are you sure your firmware is up to date? No such problems here....
-
I confirm that the 50mm are the 2.8/50 PQS.
Regarding the batteries, I have been told that it is possible to connect the AFi7II to a classic Quantum Turbo Battery pack. Any feedback?
-
There are a lot of jewels in this crown.
Yes, quite a lot of great glass. For a long time the 110/2 was my favorite, then the 90mm apo, then the 60 curtagon, then the 150tele xenar..... If you wanted my list of the great rollei lenses it would be:
30mm fisheye, 40mm SA, 55mm PCS, 60mm schneider curtagon, 80mm f/2.0 and f/2.8 xenotars, 90mm apo macro, 110/2, 150 tele-xenar, 150mm apo macro, 180mm, 300mm apo. RE: zooms - had all three and still have the 140-280 PQ and 60-140PQS. The 60-140 is just amazing in terms or performance for a zoom (great sharpness and pop to the images) but like jeanlucco says, unless you are superman hard to hand hold. It's 2.4kg / 5.3 lbs ! It's sort of a strange lens - because of the IQ your mind says yes, but your arms say no. The 140-280 PQ is a pretty good performer and the marco feature makes it really useful. It's both smaller and 1/2 lb. lighter than the 300apo and might a good choice for some situations.
-
Oppps! More or less before ending three weeks of testing the gears, on one of the AFi body, the mirror stayed blocked on upright position with the Warning message "Mirror Timeout".
I tried to change the batteries, connect and reconnect, nothing. Some scaring noises when I activate the key "mirror up" on the left side of the small LCD panel.
Any idea or suggestion? Thanks for your feedback.
-
Wow. Never heard that one. Try turning it off for a while. The mirror might come down?
Ask DHW. There is (I think) a reset function as well in the hardware. Do you have a manual?
-
Wow. Never heard that one. Try turning it off for a while. The mirror might come down?
Ask DHW. There is (I think) a reset function as well in the hardware. Do you have a manual?
To reset the body you need to hold the lens lock button pressed while starting the camera up, might not fix the mirror issue as this sounds like some mechanical fault.
-
Try to reset the body without succes. I believe that it is time for the body to take some winter holidays in Switzerland :-\ I will keep his brother with all the family lens.
Thanks for feedback.
-
I decided to buy the complete package, I have got a very positive feedback from Sinar via my dealer. They will either fix the mirro or change the body. My first investment will be brand new batteries ;) I will put for sale two of the AFD Super Angulon 2,8/50 PQS, they are very close to be brand new, been used few times. When I look at ebay or on the net some people ask more than the catalog price! I will target around 1500/2000 EUR. Any advise will be great.
Now this is time to explore the system. Thank you so far for all your feedback. Jean-Luc