Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jwwbrennan on January 29, 2011, 12:15:56 pm

Title: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: jwwbrennan on January 29, 2011, 12:15:56 pm
I have tried the manual and various sites but can't seem to locate information on the maximum media thickness for rear manual feed. I would like to use coated canvas larger (length and width) than the front manual feed can handle but am concerned about doing something I will regret. Would some knowledgeable person please help directly or point me in the direction of some actual numbers?
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: sjcampbell on January 30, 2011, 10:50:43 pm
Don't know what the thicknesses but I print Hahnemuhle Monet Canvas at 410 gsm and Hahnemuhle Photo rag at 308 gsm.

That's the thickest I need.

Cheers
Steve
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: Farmer on January 31, 2011, 01:17:51 am
http://support2.epson.net/manuals/english/lfp/styluspro38803885/ug/html/paper_2.htm#S-00500-00300-00200

Scroll down a bit from that point and it says:

You can load a sheet of A4/Letter to A2/USC size with a thickness of 0.29 to 0.5 mm.
Load one sheet at a time into the rear feed slot.
Load paper with the printable surface up.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: dgberg on January 31, 2011, 04:03:26 am
Phils got it. I run metal through mine most are about .23.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: jwwbrennan on January 31, 2011, 08:07:35 am
That's excellent. Thanks.

Metal through the rear manual? I am just trying to flatten some 12" rolled aluminum flashing (about .23 mm) for use on the front but it does not feel pliable enough for anything but a straight path and then only if I can get it perfectly flat. What kind of metal are you using?

Again thanks. I will start with some canvas.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: douvidl on February 01, 2011, 11:12:56 pm
What metal. ?  What rear feed? on an Epson 3880?
Truly?
David
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: jwwbrennan on February 02, 2011, 05:53:33 am
What metal. ?  What rear feed? on an Epson 3880?
Truly?
David

If you go to the link posted by Farmer there are graphics of the rear manual feed slot with lots of instructions. In fact enough to remind me the rear sheet guide can be laid flat.

What metal is my outstanding question so I can't help you with that.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: dgberg on February 02, 2011, 06:32:46 am
Jim and others,
I better clarify things before I get in trouble.
I was not responding to the rear feed but rather thickness of product through the printer,sorry.
I have run the metal through the front tray feed,flashing and Booksmarts product.
Flashing on the front feed worked best with the tips facing down.
My larger printers do a real nice job as well.
If your interested I have an article on my worksop blog,see address below.


Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: Randy Carone on February 02, 2011, 07:44:51 am
If you go to the link posted by Farmer there are graphics of the rear manual feed slot with lots of instructions. In fact enough to remind me the rear sheet guide can be laid flat.

jwwbrennan - can you clarify what you mean by "the rear sheet guide can be laid flat"? Thanks.
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: jwwbrennan on February 02, 2011, 08:19:18 am
Thanks Dan, I will go to your site after finishing this post.

Randy, good question. That was a matter of creativity overpowering reason in a vacuum. The rear sheet guide can be fixed (precariously maybe) horizontally but to no advantage for the intended purpose. The media still has to be pliable. It was a simple attempt to expand the printer's capability by misunderstanding Dan. 
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: douvidl on February 02, 2011, 10:16:45 am
I read the link provided by Farmer.  I believe the reference to the max. thickness of .5mm refers to paper ONLY.  Metal can not work in a print feeder that has a "J" path.  It needs to be flat, flat and flat else it will bend and cause nasty thing inside the machine.  Paper can bend.  The rear feeder has a "J" path. 
I use metal on my R2880 on the bottom front feeder to great results.
So, be cautious.
David
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: jwwbrennan on February 02, 2011, 12:39:47 pm
One quick look at the printer confirmed what you are saying David. It is for soft media only.

Thanks
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: sjcampbell on February 05, 2011, 06:54:08 pm
Just a note from the 3880 manual:

"When you print on a thick paper (1.2 to 1.5 mm), always load the sheet from the front manual feed slot."

So looks like it can go up to 1.5mm. Now, although I have not used the front feed, I believe that it is a straight path, with the media pulled through the printer and held at the rear.

Epson warn as follows:

"As the printer feeds paper from the front side to the rear side of the printer, keep enough space between the rear side of the printer and the wall."

So this might be worth a try with metal (Which I can't test because I can't find suppliers in Oz)

Cheers
Steve

Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: Farmer on February 05, 2011, 08:19:24 pm
The front feed does work as you say. 

Steve:

http://www.wideformatonline.com/index.php/classified-ads/13-outdoor-graphics-solvent-a-uv/1744-kayell-introduce-inkjet-printable-fine-art-metals

http://kayell.com.au/
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: Randy Carone on February 07, 2011, 02:49:31 pm
A point worth noting is that the 3880 front feed can only accept media that is 16.5" wide. This is a PITA as I have some very nice 17" x 22" Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 500gsm that doesn't want to feed in the rear feeder and has to be cut down to 16.5" to run in the front feed path. An earlier post mentions the rear feed can accept media that is .29mm (11 mil) to .55mm (19 mil). I cannot find this info in the 3880 User Manual. The front feed recommends 1.2mm (47 mil) to 1.5mm (59 mil). It appears there is a significant gap in material thickness. Where do I feed the HFA PR 500, which is 28 mils thick?
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: sjcampbell on February 07, 2011, 03:22:43 pm
Randy,

I tried yesterday to feed some 200GSM proofing stock at A3 through the front feeder. t was a no-go; it just wouldn't pick it up. So I think the 1.2mm minimum might be spot on.

Farmer, thanks for the heads up to Kayell. Will be ringing them today to see what they are offering.

Cheers
Steve
Title: Re: Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feed Maximum Thickness
Post by: Randy Carone on February 07, 2011, 03:59:55 pm
Steve,

I've had no trouble at all feeding thinner stock through the front feeder - metal, canvas, HFA PR 500, etc. The only issue is that the media must be 16.5". My point, not well stated, was to determine whether others have had any success feeding material that is 28 mil (.80mm) in the rear feeder of a 3800/3880.