Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Nick Rains on December 22, 2010, 02:07:44 am

Title: Photoshop 'Selective Color' Adjustment Question
Post by: Nick Rains on December 22, 2010, 02:07:44 am
Hi

Hopefully someone will know the answer to this...

In Selective Color, what does, say, 'Yellows' or 'Reds' really mean? What range of yellow tones and colours are affected by this tool? How blunt an instrument is it or how refined? is it based on a Hue angle range? Etc.

Each color option must affect a specific range of similar colors, what I'd like to know is which ones.

Here's hoping...

Nick
Title: Re: Photoshop 'Selective Color' Adjustment Question
Post by: Lightbox on December 22, 2010, 05:50:15 am
Selective color has a range very similar to that found under the "Color Range" selection tool, not as refinable as what you can do with a Hue/Sat layer, and I think it has a pretty sharp ramp off into the next color range. Download the Selective Color preset I have attached to this reply, open an image and create a Selective Color adjustment layer with the Saturation Mask preset. This won't make your image look very pretty, but if you go back through each color in the drop down and adjust the "Black" slider, always leaving it at -100 before going onto the next color, you can see clearly exactly what the Selective Color layer is adjusting for each color range.
Title: Re: Photoshop 'Selective Color' Adjustment Question
Post by: mediumcool on December 22, 2010, 09:09:28 am
Hi

Hopefully someone will know the answer to this...

In Selective Color, what does, say, 'Yellows' or 'Reds' really mean? What range of yellow tones and colours are affected by this tool? How blunt an instrument is it or how refined? is it based on a Hue angle range? Etc.

Each color option must affect a specific range of similar colors, what I'd like to know is which ones.

Here's hoping...

Nick

Touch OT, but I really like the selective colour control in Capture One. Prefer it to Photoshop’s selective colour, but use both programs.
Title: Re: Photoshop 'Selective Color' Adjustment Question
Post by: Nick Rains on December 22, 2010, 05:20:25 pm
Thanks Lightbox, I'll check it out.