Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Alex MacPherson on October 21, 2010, 10:57:37 pm
-
I have a shoot on the weekend and need to rent a 60mm lens.
All the rental houses have their cfi/cb lenses out... they do have
the cf lenses.
Are rental house CF lenses good enough to resolve a 31mp back?
-
CF lenses resolved very nicely nicely on a 39-MP P45 and P45+ for me. I've used the 80, 150 and 250 CF lenses on that back. I found that the CF lenses will often produce distracting bokeh, but this is not a function of the digital back, but of the lens' straight-edged pentagonal aperture design.
In short, if you like these lenses for film, you'll like them at least as much for your 31MP digital back.
-
They are all optically the same anyway. I use a C 3.5 / 60mm with a CFV-39 and get very nice results.
-
I have this setup. works extremely well.
-
I don't own a digital back. However, with film nobody I can recall objected those pentagons. On the opposite, on more than one time a client noticed them and said something positive or perhaps vague. I think the catch is that they certainly look unmistakenly* "photographic", say something you don't see in real life but on a photograph only, which is another asset of our craft ladies and gentlemen.
Eduardo
*how do you spell this word!?
CF lenses resolved very nicely nicely on a 39-MP P45 and P45+ for me. I've used the 80, 150 and 250 CF lenses on that back. I found that the CF lenses will often produce distracting bokeh, but this is not a function of the digital back, but of the lens' straight-edged pentagonal aperture design.
In short, if you like these lenses for film, you'll like them at least as much for your 31MP digital back.
-
I am starting to explore using a P45+ digital back with Hasselblad 500C/m equipment. For grins, I photographed some resolution test targets while they were displayed on my laptop's 2 MPx screen, using an SWC/M with a 1984 38/4.5 T* lens. At f/8 and a distance of 12-13", every pixel on the laptop screen was resolved into about 10-20 pixels of the digital image, so that I could see the details of the masks used in the LCD. That seems to show that this 25 year old lens was transmitting distinct bits of information to every pixel in the Phase back. I can't ask for more.
scott
-
Yes.
I've used them on 22 and 39 backs for portraits, fashion and still life. Certain lenses flare and ghost very badly with any sort of backlight (you get instant feedback on digital).
I have not used them for critical reproduction work.
-
*how do you spell this word!?
Unmistakably? ;)
I think the bokeh may have bothered me more than anyone else, but in my own defense :) it was a bit harsh on normal backgrounds and distracting where point highlights are concerned. Here's a test shot illustrating what I mean: