Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: tom b on October 11, 2010, 09:20:06 pm

Title: DSLR Tethered Photo Shooting On Your iPad
Post by: tom b on October 11, 2010, 09:20:06 pm
Just looked at the video and it now seems possible to tether a DSLR to an iPad using a combination of existing technologies. Cost is around US$200. Video is here:

http://www.padgadget.com/2010/08/08/dslr-tethered-photo-shooting-on-your-ipad

The previous versions I have seen needed a computer or jailbreaking your iPad. Looks interesting.

Cheers,
Title: Re: DSLR Tethered Photo Shooting On Your iPad
Post by: uaiomex on October 22, 2010, 11:17:22 pm
After the new 11" MacBook Air was announced 2 days ago, I don't consider buying an iPad anymore. At least, till it gets a real osx operating system. (imho)
Eduardo


Just looked at the video and it now seems possible to tether a DSLR to an iPad using a combination of existing technologies. Cost is around US$200. Video is here:

http://www.padgadget.com/2010/08/08/dslr-tethered-photo-shooting-on-your-ipad

The previous versions I have seen needed a computer or jailbreaking your iPad. Looks interesting.

Cheers,
Title: Re: DSLR Tethered Photo Shooting On Your iPad
Post by: tom b on October 25, 2010, 06:59:44 pm
I'd prefer to tether to a laptop too but we haven't bought a new laptop at work that I can get my hands on for over six years (restructure). We have purchased two new iPads and I can see that they could be a handy tool to have. Just being restructured again so maybe next year I'll get to find out.

Cheers,
Title: Re: DSLR Tethered Photo Shooting On Your iPad
Post by: Vivec on November 02, 2010, 01:10:29 pm
Just a note: I tried this technique with the CF adapter with my A900 and it doesn't work  :-[
The culprit is the CF adapter which with the A900 body doesn't let the Eye-Fi card connect to the WIFI network. We really need a CF version of the Eye-Fi...  For now, there is no way to tether the A900 with an iPad (of course, through a PC this works fine).

The iPad can read the A900 raw files though if you connect through USB with the camera or a CF card reader and it displays the embedded JPG files which is usually good enough for preview.
Title: Re: DSLR Tethered Photo Shooting On Your iPad
Post by: uaiomex on November 02, 2010, 04:20:27 pm
Right. Since the Eyefi was under development I wondered why they decided for SD cards. I remember I sent them an email asking about an EyeFi enabled CF card but got a totally vague answer.
Even after 2 years or more, I think that they would have more market with the CF kind. It beats me.
Eduardo

We really need a CF version of the Eye-Fi...  For now, there is no way to tether the A900 with an iPad (of course, through a PC this works fine).

Title: Re: DSLR Tethered Photo Shooting On Your iPad
Post by: tom b on November 07, 2010, 09:39:47 pm
The jailbreak method can be seen here:

http://www.likecool.com/Tether_DSLR_to_iPad--Apple--Gear.html

Cheers,
Title: Re: DSLR Tethered Photo Shooting On Your iPad
Post by: julian_love on November 16, 2010, 11:15:58 am
If you have the Canon or Nikon wireless transmitter, you can also use the Shuttersnitch iPad app - no jailbreak necessary. I find it unreliable at the moment (using Canon 5Dii/WFT-E4) but I'm told stability improves if you have a wireless router in the mix. Haven't tried that though - just using an ad hoc network between the ipad and the camera at the moment. Rob Galbraith has a detailed post on this.
Title: Re: DSLR Tethered Photo Shooting On Your iPad
Post by: Abdulrahman Aljabri on December 24, 2010, 10:52:08 am
Great information in this thread, but what if I need to run the 5d plus transmitter with the ipad? Do I need to install an operating system on the ipad to run eos utility and get the full functions of the wireless transmitter including wireless live view?


Abdulrahman