Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Morris Taub on October 09, 2010, 07:16:20 am

Title: Anything wrong with setting 'point curve' to linear for a starting point?
Post by: Morris Taub on October 09, 2010, 07:16:20 am
I'm using LR3...and I set up a preset I use when I import raw files...aside from some other adjustments, I set the point curve to 'linear' instead of 'medium contrast' as I see a more 'neutral' image to start with and then work up the black, dark, shadow, areas of my image as I want...

I was wondering if there's a downside to importing this way, or starting the pp this way...maybe negative effects on sharpness, shadow areas, or noise/grain?...

that's it...just want to be sure I'm not degrading quality of my images with this maneuver...although I guess I might just be adding a step in pp...

thanks

M
Title: Re: Anything wrong with setting 'point curve' to linear for a starting point?
Post by: stamper on October 09, 2010, 08:23:28 am
I don't use LR3 but I use ACR 6.2. I am sure they are basically the same? When importing an image I have everything set to "flat" except for a little capture sharpness. In the camera everything is set to neutral. I think this is the best starting point and I don't see how there can be a downside? Any setting that is set in LR3 or ACR is just a guess by Adobe that has been adjusted from "flat". The advantage with this method is that you don't get any false over exposure warnings. I am confident that this is a good method. :)
Title: Re: Anything wrong with setting 'point curve' to linear for a starting point?
Post by: Morris Taub on October 09, 2010, 10:37:05 am
thank you stamper...your thinking makes sense to me...I have CS5 and will check out camera raw there and the settings...and in LR3 part of my preset does set black to 0 as another way to get the most neutral image I can...but, not wanting too flat an image I did boost clarity and vibrance slightly to give the file a bit of character...but even there, a lot of the time i zero everything and start from scratch...I don't ever do mass amounts of images like say for a wedding or something...I process one image at a time like in my old darkroom...feel that each image needs it's own 'solution'...
Title: Re: Anything wrong with setting 'point curve' to linear for a starting point?
Post by: walter.sk on October 09, 2010, 10:37:29 am
Another advantage, for me, at least, is that nulling everything out allows a more accurate comparison of the exposures of each image.  This could be important when you have a couple of very similar images that differ slightly in exposure and may tell you which is the better starting point for processing.
Title: Re: Anything wrong with setting 'point curve' to linear for a starting point?
Post by: wolfnowl on October 09, 2010, 11:33:36 am
Quote
When importing an image I have everything set to "flat"...

Yup, me too.  I have my default Develop settings set to '0', and I adjust them from there.  I prefer to make my own choices as to where to set exposure, brightness, contrast, etc.

Mike.
Title: Re: Anything wrong with setting 'point curve' to linear for a starting point?
Post by: Schewe on October 09, 2010, 11:57:58 am
that's it...just want to be sure I'm not degrading quality of my images with this maneuver...although I guess I might just be adding a step in pp...

Zero impact on image quality...LR is a parametric editor you know. And yes, if you _DO_ end up constantly adjusting the curve, it is adding another step. The question is, what do you want your default starting point to be? It can be anything you want–and if you want it to be more than a preset, you can alter your Lightroom "Defaults" so that's it's automatically applied by default.
Title: Re: Anything wrong with setting 'point curve' to linear for a starting point?
Post by: Morris Taub on October 09, 2010, 12:50:42 pm
Zero impact on image quality...LR is a parametric editor you know. And yes, if you _DO_ end up constantly adjusting the curve, it is adding another step. The question is, what do you want your default starting point to be? It can be anything you want–and if you want it to be more than a preset, you can alter your Lightroom "Defaults" so that's it's automatically applied by default.

Ok, excellent...I just wanted to be sure that screwing with point curve had no negative impact on image quality...thank you for this info...and though it's a bit more work i do prefer to see the image as neutral as possible and tweak till hearts content...

thanks guys for your feedback...