Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: John R Smith on May 29, 2010, 11:26:36 am

Title: LR Displaying on Monitor
Post by: John R Smith on May 29, 2010, 11:26:36 am
Today I just bought a new Samsung Syncmaster 943 19 inch flat panel display to replace my ageing Philips monitor. I hooked it up, made some preliminary adjustments ready to profile it with Spyder 2, and then thought to test the apps first. Woe and horror, Lightroom does not display any images whatsoever on my new screen. No Library, no Develop, nothing. It loads fine, but where there should be images there are just empty frames. Everything else runs fine, including PS Elements.

Swapped back to the old panel, changing nothing else, and LR runs fine again. What on earth can be happening? Have I just wasted my hard earned cash? Your help would be greatly valued, so far I have got nowhere with this.

Lightroom 2.6 running under Windows 7 64 bit.

(Sorry, the title should have been "LR Not Displaying on Monitor". You see, I'm so upset I can't even type   )

John
Title: LR Displaying on Monitor
Post by: wolfnowl on May 29, 2010, 03:33:28 pm
I had a problem a while back with LR not displaying thumbnail images - turned out to be a bad monitor profile.  I'd suggest profiling your monitor properly and then try running LR.

Mike.
Title: LR Displaying on Monitor
Post by: John R Smith on May 29, 2010, 04:41:51 pm
Mike

I owe you a beer  

I deleted the existing monitor profiles and then reprofiled using Spyder. Re-booted the PC from cold, loaded the new profile, and LR worked OK again.

Thank you so much for the tip.

John
Title: LR Displaying on Monitor
Post by: wolfnowl on May 29, 2010, 08:33:01 pm
John:  I appreciate the offer, but I quit drinking over twenty years ago!      Coffee's good though.  Glad to pass on the tip, which I received from someone else on these forums.

Mike.
Title: LR Displaying on Monitor
Post by: John R Smith on May 30, 2010, 01:18:34 pm
Hmmmm

This strange event is actually quite interesting. As all my other apps (including PS) displayed on the screen perfectly OK, it must mean that LR writes its image display (previews and renderings) directly to the monitor in some way, using the monitor profile to do so and bypassing the normal Windows kernel display routines. Could be worth knowing if other odd things happen in future.

John