Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: HarperPhotos on May 02, 2010, 11:26:48 pm
-
Hello,
Does anyone in luminous land have any info or heard any rumours on a replacement for the Nikon D3x (Nikon D4) yet?
Cheers
Simon
-
Historically, the major new Dx cameras come out every four years, which puts the D4 at about a year out. It's unclear what the specs of that camera will be, or whether it can be considered an update on the D3x. Strongest rumors seem to suggest several new cameras coming from Nikon this year, and it seems almost inconceivable that there wouldn't be. The sensor technology in the D3s appears to be scalable, which suggests that Nikon knows how to create any number of possible cameras with D3-level performance, more pixels, and video. But a lot of us are hanging on tight to see what shakes out between now and Photokina. Will there be a 5DII competitor in the form of a D700 update? It does seem that incentives on D700 sales are increasing, suggesting that stock is being cleared out. It is time for a refresh of that model, possibly with video. It is quite possible there will be a D3x update this year. But it won't be the D4 per se.
Because I had some projects coming up, I bought a 5DII, but in reality, I wish I didn't have to. White knuckles all around until July/August comes.
-
I wouldn't expect a high-res D4/D4x anytime soon. If the D3x gets updated in the next year, it would probably be with a D3xs, which gets a few tweaks but not a new sensor (and I wouldn't even expect the IQ improvement on the level of what D3s got, since that was an in-house sensor and the D3x uses a Sony part). I would expect a sport/pj class D4 to replace the D3s will come before a D3x replacement.
It does seem likely that a > 12mp camera in a D700-style body will be coming, probably with video, but not necessarily with 24mp (some folks have speculated 18-22mp range, with a new sensor since the D3x sensor may not be adaptable to video).
-
I think there might come a small update on D700 and D3x. I think the D700 update will be the same as the D3s update, but I am not sure about the D3x. I think it will come down to what the new 1Ds will look like from Canon.
On a personal note, I have the D700 and cannot wait any longer for an update. I will buy a 5D mark II along with a few red heads. We are getting more and more request in the video department and I belief its important to embrace "new technology". I really like my Nikon, don't really want to switch, but I do because its the smartest thing to do.
-
Hello,
Does anyone in luminous land have any info or heard any rumours on a replacement for the Nikon D3x (Nikon D4) yet?
Cheers
Simon
The D3x was released in December '08. It's not even a year and a half old, yet.
-
I bought my D3x late last year for the express purpose of shooting underwater. With the added expense of a housing I won't be replacing it anytime soon. I am interested to see what Nikon comes up with as a replacement for the D700 I have. Might Nikon stay with the 12 MP sensor but go for D3s ISO performance and video? Wait and see, I suppose...
Wendy
-
Hi,
Thom Hogan used to be well informed.
Check this: http://www.bythom.com/2010predictions.htm (http://www.bythom.com/2010predictions.htm)
and this: http://www.bythom.com/announcements.htm (http://www.bythom.com/announcements.htm)
Best regards
Erik
Hello,
Does anyone in luminous land have any info or heard any rumours on a replacement for the Nikon D3x (Nikon D4) yet?
Cheers
Simon
-
Hello,
Does anyone in luminous land have any info or heard any rumours on a replacement for the Nikon D3x (Nikon D4) yet?
Simon,
Nobody allowed to speak knows for sure, but here are some elements of answer:
- Nikon is obviously managing their platforms and technologies separately:
- The D3 is a platform (mechanical structure, motherboard,...)
- The technologies would be the sensor, the AF module,...
- Until recently their cycle had been 4 years for a new platform with a point update every 2 years that mostly tweaks some minor aspects of the UI and basically didn't really provide any new technology (more version ups of some technologies),
- The D3s sticks to this basic philosophy but surprised the world by proposing a next generation technology for at least one very important component: the sensor. The gains are actually more important than with most platform changes at their competitors which tells us a lot about the investement they have done and about the in-depth change of their process that was required,
It is true that this could be done thanks to the sensor being an in-house design.
It is very likely that the D3x is going to be replaced by a D3Xs to be announced at Photokina, but it is really hard to tell whether it is going to include an improved sensor or the same one at this point of time. The D3x sensor is based on a Sony part, but the actual performance is much superior in terms of DR which can only relate to Nikon design components. It is therefore very possible that they would have worked on these and further pushed the enveloppe DR wise.
Regards,
Bernard
-
Simon,
Nobody allowed to speak knows for sure, but here are some elements of answer:
- Nikon is obviously managing their platforms and technologies separately:
- The D3 is a platform (mechanical structure, motherboard,...)
- The technologies would be the sensor, the AF module,...
- Until recently their cycle had been 4 years for a new platform with a point update every 2 years that mostly tweaks some minor aspects of the UI and basically didn't really provide any new technology (more version ups of some technologies),
- The D3s sticks to this basic philosophy but surprised the world by proposing a next generation technology for at least one very important component: the sensor. The gains are actually more important than with most platform changes at their competitors which tells us a lot about the investement they have done and about the in-depth change of their process that was required,
It is true that this could be done thanks to the sensor being an in-house design.
It is very likely that the D3x is going to be replaced by a D3Xs to be announced at Photokina, but it is really hard to tell whether it is going to include an improved sensor or the same one at this point of time. The D3x sensor is based on a Sony part, but the actual performance is much superior in terms of DR which can only relate to Nikon design components. It is therefore very possible that they would have worked on these and further pushed the enveloppe DR wise.
Regards,
Bernard
I agree with most of the above, although I'm not sured I'd say the D3x is "much superior" in DR over the A900. Certainly, the 14bit process improves shadow detail, but, after talking to Iliah Borg, I would probably just say "a bit better." Similarly, I wouldn't say the A900 is "much superior" in color, either.
-
I agree with most of the above, although I'm not sured I'd say the D3x is "much superior" in DR over the A900. Certainly, the 14bit process improves shadow detail, but, after talking to Iliah Borg, I would probably just say "a bit better." Similarly, I wouldn't say the A900 is "much superior" in color, either.
Granted "superior" vs "much superior" is relative. DR is somewhat easier to measure than color quality and I personnally find one one stop difference to be significant, but that is indeed just me.
Anyway that one quote was clearly not the point of my post and the "much" was meant to highlight the investement Nikon made in the D3x sensor as opposed to merely using a standart part.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Hello,
Does anyone in luminous land have any info or heard any rumours on a replacement for the Nikon D3x (Nikon D4) yet?
Cheers
Simon
The D700 hasn't even been replaced yet!
-
The D700 hasn't even been replaced yet!
Phew... for a second I thought I had logged onto DPReview when I opened this thread.... then I saw the familiar green Lula band across the top and realised the OP must be lost.....
(No offence intended whatsoever to the OP - I was just poking fun).
-
Hello,
Does anyone in luminous land have any info or heard any rumours on a replacement for the Nikon D3x (Nikon D4) yet?
Cheers
Simon
Any credible rumor (and many that do not deserve credence) will almost certainly get reported quickly at Nikon Rumors (http://nikonrumors.com/)
I doubt that anyone posting here (or at DPReview etc.) can give any real information beyond that ... but we can provide plenty of opinions about what is to come [e.g. "Nikon Medium format mirrorless!"], erudite yet bogus arguments to back of those opinions [e.g. "35mm is hitting the limits of resolution and IQ, so Nikon and Canon have to step up to MF"], wish-lists, and pure speculation, if that is the sort of entertainment you seek.