Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Greg Schneider on March 05, 2010, 08:42:00 am

Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Greg Schneider on March 05, 2010, 08:42:00 am
Seems my cartridges have expired and I need to purchase new ink. I've heard of people getting refillable cartridges and using the HP 70 line of ink to fill them with, which is less than half the price of the HP 38 per ml. Has anyone done this with success? Any recommendations?
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Damir on March 05, 2010, 10:37:06 am
I posted that I refill cartridges for 9180 - but I was wrong in some instance. Actualy I have 9180 and 8850 together with Z3100. I stareted to refill cartridges and use them for 8850 without any problem, just got the messge "you put an used cartridge so actual amount of ink is not available".

But when I put refilled cartridge in 9180 printer gave me notification "you put an empty cartridge" - as I use refilled cartridges for 8850, I automaticaly suppose that 9180 will also accept them, but that was not true, it is different printer with different reactions.
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 05, 2010, 11:08:00 am
As an aside I've seen the B8850 for $350 (at B+H, I think).  If you need new print heads it might be a way to get both a new set of inks and heads at a discount...
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on March 05, 2010, 11:25:17 am
Quote from: DarkPenguin
As an aside I've seen the B8850 for $350 (at B+H, I think).  If you need new print heads it might be a way to get both a new set of inks and heads at a discount...

Possible for a Z3100 but not cheaper then: 4x60/70$. Maybe one head will correspond with a Z3100-Z3200 but not more if I recall it correctly.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 05, 2010, 11:41:37 am
Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Possible for a Z3100 but not cheaper then: 4x60/70$. Maybe one head will correspond with a Z3100-Z3200 but not more if I recall it correctly.

I believe the 8850 uses the same heads as the 9180.
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Greg Schneider on March 05, 2010, 12:39:24 pm
Quote from: Damir
I posted that I refill cartridges for 9180 - but I was wrong in some instance. Actualy I have 9180 and 8850 together with Z3100. I stareted to refill cartridges and use them for 8850 without any problem, just got the messge "you put an used cartridge so actual amount of ink is not available".

But when I put refilled cartridge in 9180 printer gave me notification "you put an empty cartridge" - as I use refilled cartridges for 8850, I automaticaly suppose that 9180 will also accept them, but that was not true, it is different printer with different reactions.

Damir,

That doesn't sound good. Which refillable cartridges are you using? And is it easy to get the ink out of the HP 70 carts? I was thinking of getting the refillable carts from printerfillingstation.com
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on March 05, 2010, 03:20:45 pm
Quote from: DarkPenguin
I believe the 8850 uses the same heads as the 9180.

That is correct. If you need 8 cartridges and 4 heads then a new B8850 would be 180$ cheaper. No choice of what cartridge and what head though, you have to buy all. The light greys and light magenta running out fastest normally and heads should last an A3 printer's lifetime. I do not know whether there's 28ML in the carts or a smaller quantity. Using the content of Z2100 or Z6100 carts looks like a better plan.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Damir on March 05, 2010, 06:09:13 pm
Quote from: Greg Schneider
Damir,

That doesn't sound good. Which refillable cartridges are you using? And is it easy to get the ink out of the HP 70 carts? I was thinking of getting the refillable carts from printerfillingstation.com

I order them but I am still waiting for shipment to arrive, I just try to refill original cartridges.

It is not problem to pull out ink with syringe and needle, but I need a lot of pressure too push ink in to the original cartridges.

When I got refillable cartridges I will post my experience.

I use Z for most of my printing, but I run photography workshops in which my students print images on 8850 and 9180 so this can be a big save on the long run.
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Greg Schneider on March 08, 2010, 04:44:51 pm
I've decided I'm going to get a set of refillable carts and buy some HP 70 ink to fill them with, so I'm guaranteed of print quality vs using offbrand ink. Then once the printheads go on the B9180 I can decide whether to replace or go for a B8850. Would there be any cons to this?
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Damir on March 09, 2010, 06:47:12 am
Quote from: Greg Schneider
I've decided I'm going to get a set of refillable carts and buy some HP 70 ink to fill them with, so I'm guaranteed of print quality vs using offbrand ink. Then once the printheads go on the B9180 I can decide whether to replace or go for a B8850. Would there be any cons to this?

No as I can see it - you may also go for Z because you will already have spare inks for them.
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Greg Schneider on March 09, 2010, 07:40:36 am
The other option I've considered are the printerfillingstation.com refill inks, but I believe it would be wiser to stay with the HP ink even if the other is a bit cheaper yet.
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Robert DeCandido PhD on March 09, 2010, 08:00:27 am
Do an search over at Ebay for Hefgar Media - great customer service and wonderful ink (inexpensive) in bulk (systems) for the B9180. A search at DPReview will tell you how much people like their inks and especially customer service. I am a 110% pleased customer.

rdc/nyc
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Damir on April 11, 2010, 05:08:09 pm
Greg

I finally got cartridges from Printerfillingstations, they are easy to use, and work without any problem with ink from Z3100.

I just filled them, we will se how will they stand multiple filling.
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: Greg Schneider on April 11, 2010, 05:13:49 pm
Damir,

Thanks for letting me know. I went ahead with the Hefger Media carts and ink, and have been very happy so far.
Title: HP B9180 ink options
Post by: deanwork on April 12, 2010, 06:50:25 pm
Glad to hear those carts work.

I have been considering trying to create a dedicated black and white printer out of a used Z3100 by diluting the light gray down to two more dilutions. But that would require Studio Print to linearize, and could be very tricky setting up.

j



Quote from: Greg Schneider
Damir,

Thanks for letting me know. I went ahead with the Hefger Media carts and ink, and have been very happy so far.