Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Dick Roadnight on February 26, 2010, 03:57:14 pm
-
Michael tells us that there will soon be an overhaul of the site, with new forums
...so this might be the right time to suggest new forums.
May I suggest:
pano-stitching
Medium format digital view cameras
35mm V MF (to keep other forums clear of this endless topic)
-
Edited post.
-A complain forum (very french)
Our complains or requests to our favorite brands. Things we would like them to do that they do not.
-The confessional room
Our worsed photographs, mistakes and failures (so I can post a lot of pictures there )
-
Cats!
-
I do not think increasing the number of forum sections will help this forum. To the contrary it will hurt. Judging from activity levels in the medium format section there isn't enough people to spread thinner over more sections. Making more forums without increasing the user based will make for less users per section.
-
I do not think increasing the number of forum sections will help this forum. To the contrary it will hurt. Judging from activity levels in the medium format section there isn't enough people to spread thinner over more sections. Making more forums without increasing the user based will make for less users per section.
You have a good point - cross-over writing on any thread can help broaden the interest for the principal audience as well as bring in others less strongly committed to it; can photography really be positively split into so many mechanical pigeonholes, fragmented into ever-decreasing areas of sub-interest specialization?
Rob C
-
Cats!
Babies!
Rob C
-
This will of course require the services of a dedicated (and like-minded ) individual but even with all the many existing forums here on this marvelous site of Micheal's, I would like to see a forum which lists all the currently really interesting threads going on in all the other forums.
Whadda ya think?
I'm a busy man and it just takes too much of my time to go looking for them. Like have we decided whether Rob C has taken his medication or not?
Gene
-
This will of course require the services of a dedicated (and like-minded ) individual but even with all the many existing forums here on this marvelous site of Micheal's, I would like to see a forum which lists all the currently really interesting threads going on in all the other forums.
Whadda ya think?
I'm a busy man and it just takes too much of my time to go looking for them. Like have we decided whether Rob C has taken his medication or not?
Gene
That's the prolem, Gene: it is of no use at all you deciding about the medication - Rob C has to know for himself. You could, of course, run a medical photography section... unless you were too busy.
Rob C
-
Actually, the changes that are planned (soon, soon) are much more profound than simply adding forums or tagging interesting discussions. Wait and see. I think everyone (except maybe Rob C) will be pleased. Sorry Rob.
Michael
-
Actually, the changes that are planned (soon, soon) are much more profound than simply adding forums or tagging interesting discussions. Wait and see. I think everyone (except maybe Rob C) will be pleased. Sorry Rob.
Michael
Michael,
Can I make a plea for the way I use the forums not to disappear? I am at least potentially interested in everything posted here. I have no interest in which forum it lives. I click on "view new posts" and browse down the list of topics. If something catches my eye, I read it. I've stumbled across some very interesting discussions in places in which, if I'd been forced to, I'd probably never have looked.
I hope I can continue to use the site like that.
Jeremy
-
What Michael isn't saying yet is that he is merging LL with ChatRoulette to create a hybrid site. Random, clothing optional video chats on weighty photography topics will take the site in an entirely new direction. Arguably, not an improvement for many of us, but certainly novel in approach, and perhaps beneficial in clearing out some of the dusty corners around here. I anticipate some of us longing for the good old days of Web 2.0 before it is all over, though. Perhaps a better fit than merging this site with Ken Rockwell's, at least.
-
Actually, the changes that are planned (soon, soon) are much more profound than simply adding forums or tagging interesting discussions. Wait and see. I think everyone (except maybe Rob C) will be pleased. Sorry Rob.
Michael
I'm guessing there'll be a Ray Forum and a Rob forum as well....
-
Clothing optional. Now that's one I hadn't thought of.
Thanks,
Michael
-
Clothing optional. Now that's one I hadn't thought of.
Thanks,
Michael
You mean I've been breaking the rules all this time?
Now I have to divert funds from the photo budget to the pants budget.
-
Until the new software is in place anyone on this forum with their pants off will be banned. Including you Joe.
Michael
Hola from Mexico City Airport.
-
Love the new terminal in Mexico city, very cool...
-
This will of course require the services of a dedicated (and like-minded ) individual but even with all the many existing forums here on this marvelous site of Micheal's, I would like to see a forum which lists all the currently really interesting threads going on in all the other forums.
Whadda ya think?
I'm a busy man and it just takes too much of my time to go looking for them. Like have we decided whether Rob C has taken his medication or not?
As one of the other Jeremys has mentioned, use New Posts button/link at top right-ish. This display all threads that have had anything posted in since you last visited.
I rarely bother to look in individual forums as I just glance at the few pages of threads and read anything that catches my eye.
-
As one of the other Jeremys has mentioned, use New Posts button/link at top right-ish. This display all threads that have had anything posted in since you last visited.
I rarely bother to look in individual forums as I just glance at the few pages of threads and read anything that catches my eye.
Exactly. One of the joys of this site and indeed of the web is serendipity. I never know what I might come across that is interesting and informative. I don't own and have never used any medium format kit, still less the ludicrous-looking (but effective) cameras made by the likes of Alpa and Horseman. I still enjoy reading about them, though, and finding out what those who do use them have to say. The "new posts" button is a wonderful thing.
I say the same about Radio 4 (my fellow Brits will appreciate that).
Of course, it does waste a huge amount of time...
Jeremy
-
Perhaps what would do more good is to have a keywording system, so users can filter on keywords like the current and proposed forum titles, e.g MFD, view, landscape... as well as manufacturers and countries where applicable.
Other keywords might be:
pictorial
commercial
architectural
rural
town
village
city
water
flora
fauna
mountains
macro
people
fashion
...
-
More keywords might include:
flame wars
snappy retorts
Canon fanboy rants
Nikon fanboy rants
PC vs. Mac wars
theoretical discussions with no relevance to actual working photography
definitions of "color", "depth of field", "dynamic range", etc.
-
More keywords might include:
flame wars
snappy retorts
Canon fanboy rants
Nikon fanboy rants
PC vs. Mac wars
theoretical discussions with no relevance to actual working photography
definitions of "color", "depth of field", "dynamic range", etc.
Moderators could have the ability to keyword posts, making it easy to filter out rants and post saying "I disapprove of MF because cannot afford one, or chose to spend my money on something less useful, like a new car"