Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jhmaw on February 25, 2010, 07:12:19 pm
-
Hi. I need your help. I need to make a new print portfolio to show to clients. I haven't done this in a while. I have always hated looking at photos viewed though slip-in sleeves and was sure that there would be a better method in this wonderful digital age, but apparently not. I am told that most people are still using sleeves. Can anyone suggest a good alternative and preferably recommend a good place to get the work done (in the UK). Books are out if they use halftone printing as you don't get the same colour gamut. Must be at least as good as an RA4 print (better would be a bonus). Separate images (not bound into a book) would be fine. I am looking at laminating/encapsulating as one possibility. Any other ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
John
-
Brooks Jensens folios (http://www.lenswork.com/workshops/folios.html) migth be one way to do it.
You can buy covers here (http://www.danecreekfolios.com/).
Ronny
-
How about a Brand Envy http://bit.ly/c25feo (http://bit.ly/c25feo) by Lost Luggage or a Lost Luggage book. Print on double sided Moab paper. Most people are not using sleeves. Every single thing I have read about portfolio books is that you should never use slip in sleeves. Art buyers, AD's, etc. dislike them.
-
I make very nice A4 three-section, hand-cased folios - all archival materials, Canson endpapers, cloth spines, custom covers (either your own image on Mi-Teintes or classic 20th Century designer woodcuts). We're in South Wales. PM me if you want more details and/or images.
-
Hi. I need your help. I need to make a new print portfolio to show to clients. I haven't done this in a while. I have always hated looking at photos viewed though slip-in sleeves and was sure that there would be a better method in this wonderful digital age, but apparently not. I am told that most people are still using sleeves. Can anyone suggest a good alternative and preferably recommend a good place to get the work done (in the UK). Books are out if they use halftone printing as you don't get the same colour gamut. Must be at least as good as an RA4 print (better would be a bonus). Separate images (not bound into a book) would be fine. I am looking at laminating/encapsulating as one possibility. Any other ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
John
An approach I am about to try is to use adhesive post-binding hinges, which you attach to your actual prints and then bind them in a post album. The advantage is that your print is the actual page, and the image can be viewed without any reflections or intervening sleeve - also, if you use a nice rag paper, the feel and weight of the paper will be apparent to the viewer. There's no protection for the print, of course (except perhaps a spray).
http://www.pinazangaro.com/accessories_hingestrips.html (http://www.pinazangaro.com/accessories_hingestrips.html)
-
Oops
-
Hi. I need your help. I need to make a new print portfolio to show to clients. I haven't done this in a while. I have always hated looking at photos viewed though slip-in sleeves and was sure that there would be a better method in this wonderful digital age, but apparently not. I am told that most people are still using sleeves. Can anyone suggest a good alternative and preferably recommend a good place to get the work done (in the UK). Books are out if they use halftone printing as you don't get the same colour gamut. Must be at least as good as an RA4 print (better would be a bonus). Separate images (not bound into a book) would be fine. I am looking at laminating/encapsulating as one possibility. Any other ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
John
Hello John !
Why dont you print a set of high quality archival/ exhibition quality prints and then consider presenting from an archival box or custom case ?
Paper Ideas (http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/210/digital-fineart.html)
Portfolio Ideas (http://www.portfoliosplus.com)
Regards
P.s
Printing experts (http://www.w-co.co.uk/lambda_printing.php)
-
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up looking at the Pina Zangaro and found that the sleeves used with those are much better than the sleeves that I had seen elsewhere (partly because all the sleeves that I had previously seen were polypropylene and the better ones are polyester). An A3 cover and two packs of 10 sleeves cost about £110. Not bad compared to some alternatives I have seen.
Peter. I would be very interested to know how you get on with the adhesive hinges. I might give that a go as well. It is bound (excuse the pun) to look better, but may not stand up to client handling too well. Look forward to updates.
To everyone else, many thanks for the ideas. I'm sure some will come in handy in the future.
John
-
How about a Brand Envy http://bit.ly/c25feo (http://bit.ly/c25feo) by Lost Luggage or a Lost Luggage book. Print on double sided Moab paper. Most people are not using sleeves. Every single thing I have read about portfolio books is that you should never use slip in sleeves. Art buyers, AD's, etc. dislike them.
That is not so, a lot of fashion photographers use nothing but tear sheet books. I have never once heard a complaint from an AD/CD or DD about sleeves.
-
I was referring to slip in sleeves where your print is behind plastic that reflects office lights etc.
-
Hi. I need your help. I need to make a new print portfolio to show to clients. I haven't done this in a while. I have always hated looking at photos viewed though slip-in sleeves and was sure that there would be a better method in this wonderful digital age, but apparently not. I am told that most people are still using sleeves. Can anyone suggest a good alternative and preferably recommend a good place to get the work done (in the UK). Books are out if they use halftone printing as you don't get the same colour gamut. Must be at least as good as an RA4 print (better would be a bonus). Separate images (not bound into a book) would be fine. I am looking at laminating/encapsulating as one possibility. Any other ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
John
John,
Since you mentioned the "digital age," might I suggest the new Apple iPad. You won't be showing actual prints, but your images will look great, possibly even better than an actual print.
Rob