Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: ChuckZ on February 19, 2010, 11:06:24 am

Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: ChuckZ on February 19, 2010, 11:06:24 am
I'm hoping to improve my Photoshop workflow skills.  Eventually I will be able to afford to attend a workshop, but for now I am hoping to find sources of information costing under $200.  I'm familiar with raw conversion, adjustments layers, masking, etc but figure it would be useful to know how the professions use these tools.  At this point, tmelive.com (The Mindful Eye) has been a great resource but I'm guessing there might be other sources out there.  Thanks, Chuck
Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 19, 2010, 11:10:44 am
Have you migrated to the Luminous-Landscape store and looked over all those fabulous DVDs which Michael and Jeff have produced? Follow what they tell you and you'll be in great shape, and they aren't expensive - by a long-shot. Best value I've seen anywhere.
Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: Mike Boden on February 19, 2010, 11:18:24 am
I suggest that you take a look at Lynda.com. For very little money, you have access to a ton of video tutorials regarding many different applications, including Photoshop.
Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 19, 2010, 11:24:29 am
Quote from: Mike Boden
I suggest that you take a look at Lynda.com. For very little money, you have access to a ton of video tutorials regarding many different applications, including Photoshop.
Yeah, but as far as I can recall Lynda a subscription service and you can't download and keep the stuff on your own hard drive for future reference. You have access as long as you pay the subscription. With L-L videos - your's to keep indefinintely, and much of this instruction remains valid for a long time.
Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: Mike Boden on February 19, 2010, 11:44:36 am
Quote from: Mark D Segal
Yeah, but as far as I can recall Lynda a subscription service and you can't download and keep the stuff on your own hard drive for future reference. You have access as long as you pay the subscription. With L-L videos - your's to keep indefinintely, and much of this instruction remains valid for a long time.

If you use Firefox and install this add-on, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006), then you can download the videos and keep them.

Otherwise, the video tutorials can be purchased on DVD from Lynda.com and kept just the same as here at LuLa.
Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 19, 2010, 11:50:10 am
Ah - how helpful! Thanks for that.

The Lynda DVD purchase option must be more recent than several years back when I was looking over their service - at the time it wasn't an option. I see their pricing ranges between 50 ~ 150 dollars per product - so costlier than LuLa, but quite a substantial variety.
Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: ChuckZ on February 19, 2010, 08:42:10 pm
Quote from: Mark D Segal
Have you migrated to the Luminous-Landscape store and looked over all those fabulous DVDs which Michael and Jeff have produced? Follow what they tell you and you'll be in great shape, and they aren't expensive - by a long-shot. Best value I've seen anywhere.

Looks like they have very reasonably priced videos, but didn't see anything regarding Photoshop workflow beyond raw processing.  They have some good stuff for Lightroom tho.
Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 19, 2010, 09:17:54 pm
Quote from: ChuckZ
Looks like they have very reasonably priced videos, but didn't see anything regarding Photoshop workflow beyond raw processing.  They have some good stuff for Lightroom tho.

 The "Camera to Print" video may have content you could use. Check it out.
Title: Seeking Photoshop workflow dvd/book/website recommendations
Post by: Jack Varney on February 19, 2010, 09:40:56 pm
Luminous-Landscape "From Camera to Print" is a complete reference of in-depth information.  In November of 2009 I attended the Zion Summit Digital Printing Workshop sponsored by Alain Briot, Uwe Steinmueller and Mac Holbert.  Mac and J.P Capanigro have a DVD in production titled "Fine Art Digital Workflow" ($59 preorder) covering the essential concepts and some great techniques. Look for it at -

http://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/store/dvd...rt-workflow.php (http://www.johnpaulcaponigro.com/store/dvd-fine-art-workflow.php) I ordered a copy today.

BTW, the Zion Summit was great, I highly recommend it!