Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: DarkPenguin on February 15, 2010, 09:08:03 pm

Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: DarkPenguin on February 15, 2010, 09:08:03 pm
Panasonic announced a new camera with "pink" being its new feature.  Now pentax has released the Kx in 8 more colors?  Is this it.  Is this the end of the camera technology line?  Is it all over?  Will the 7D mk II feature suede as its new feature?
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Colorwave on February 15, 2010, 09:36:48 pm
Quote from: DarkPenguin
Will the 7D mk II feature suede as its new feature?
Suede?  Oh dear, I hope not.  Felt is where it's at!

Now that the insides are all, er, buttoned down*, all that is left is a little styling here and there.

*please forgive
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: DarkPenguin on February 16, 2010, 12:24:44 am
Quote from: Colorwave
Suede?  Oh dear, I hope not.  Felt is where it's at!

Now that the insides are all, er, buttoned down*, all that is left is a little styling here and there.

*please forgive

The more I think about it the more I think canon will go with Pleather.
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: teddillard on February 16, 2010, 09:40:46 am
Quote from: DarkPenguin
The more I think about it the more I think canon will go with Pleather.

I can see our next series of Head-2-Heads now...  mmmm.  pleather.
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: fredjeang on February 16, 2010, 10:58:06 am
The irony is that the KX is a very good camera actually, but this kind of marketing let us think of gadget stuff.
and it is not 8 colors...it is 100!!  
watch this: http://digitalcameras.techfresh.net/pentax...ors-and-styles/ (http://digitalcameras.techfresh.net/pentax-k-x-dslr-now-available-in-100-colors-and-styles/)

Fred.
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Thomas Krüger on February 16, 2010, 10:59:23 am
Perhaps I can order a bavarian branded camera for Christmas 2010...
[attachment=20299:Bayern.jpg]
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Robert Roaldi on February 16, 2010, 11:00:13 am
I kind of like the suede idea. In general, camera surfaces should be more "grippy". And all lenses should have a knurled ring for tightening/removing the lens, indicated as such with a label, maybe "grab here" or something. Since they have custom running shoes now, I am surprised you can't specify a camera colour of your choice.
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: DarkPenguin on February 16, 2010, 01:27:11 pm
Quote from: Robert Roaldi
I kind of like the suede idea. In general, camera surfaces should be more "grippy". And all lenses should have a knurled ring for tightening/removing the lens, indicated as such with a label, maybe "grab here" or something. Since they have custom running shoes now, I am surprised you can't specify a camera colour of your choice.

It would also give canon an excuse for not weather sealing the camera.  You wouldn't want to take your suede camera out in the rain...
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Joe Behar on February 16, 2010, 03:10:09 pm
Seems to me that there were more than a few people complaining that Hasselblad does not offer a different colour for their H series.

Now we have a choice, albeit from a different manufacturer, and the complaints keep coming  

"I should be able to get any colour I want, unless I don't want it"

End of rant
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 16, 2010, 04:01:26 pm
I want a bone carved chassis ....
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 16, 2010, 05:00:19 pm
I don't get it either, , but lately I've been hanging out in a camera store I own a piece of, and women outnumber men customers.  Recently one of our hottest items is a "designer" camera bag, so maybe they think offering unique camera colors will appeal to this segment of the market ... a women who wants a camera that matches her style and image ... I guess sort of like LPGA tour player Paula Creamer aka The Pink Panther.
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: dwdallam on February 16, 2010, 05:53:42 pm
I really hate to say this, but I really like the black on yellow. At first I though, "How stupid and useless." After looking at the colors, I like it. LOL
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: stever on February 16, 2010, 06:21:18 pm
i'd be happy if Canon would just offer the 70-200 and 100-400 in black
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on February 16, 2010, 11:04:56 pm
Quote from: stever
i'd be happy if Canon would just offer the 70-200 and 100-400 in black

That's why they invented Krylon 1602.
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: dwdallam on February 17, 2010, 03:02:38 am
Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
That's why they invented Krylon 1602.

LMAO.

I like the white. It says--this guys is Super Fly and YOU'RE not!

I'm really liking the color thing. I mean, why not? Maybe I could have my camera taken apart by Canon, and have the body painted that yellow color, then send the camera back and have it reassembled?
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 17, 2010, 09:37:22 am
Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
That's why they invented Krylon 1602.

Yeah, I tried that on mine, but the exposures kept coming out much too dark. 
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: DarkPenguin on February 17, 2010, 12:14:51 pm
Quote from: dwdallam
LMAO.

I like the white. It says--this guys is Super Fly and YOU'RE not!

I'm really liking the color thing. I mean, why not? Maybe I could have my camera taken apart by Canon, and have the body painted that yellow color, then send the camera back and have it reassembled?

Way back when someone did that with their 300D.  I wish I could find it.  They went Tonka Toy yellow.  Was awesome.  I think you just peel everything apart and treat it like you're restoring a '69 Camaro.
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: John Camp on February 17, 2010, 01:07:04 pm
Quote from: Robert Roaldi
I kind of like the suede idea. In general, camera surfaces should be more "grippy". And all lenses should have a knurled ring for tightening/removing the lens, indicated as such with a label, maybe "grab here" or something. Since they have custom running shoes now, I am surprised you can't specify a camera colour of your choice.

You kinda can, if you own a Leica. The Leica covering peels off, and there are a number of places that offer recovering color choices. Many are exceptionally ugly. This link even offers coverings for non-Leica cameras...(I have no interest or involvement in the place, etc.)

http://www.cameraleather.com/leica_m/recovering/ (http://www.cameraleather.com/leica_m/recovering/)


JC
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: Theresa on February 19, 2010, 05:46:12 pm
Quote from: DarkPenguin
Panasonic announced a new camera with "pink" being its new feature.  Now pentax has released the Kx in 8 more colors?  Is this it.  Is this the end of the camera technology line?  Is it all over?  Will the 7D mk II feature suede as its new feature?

I wish my camera was pink, or even better lavender.

Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: EinstStein on February 20, 2010, 04:25:51 pm
It all started with Apple, or more properly, S.J. Blame or praise him.
When it started, if  my memory serves me right, even Convex's super computer has a sexy S-curve and a pink make-up (or orange-green)?
Want to know who headed HP at that time?

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Panasonic announced a new camera with "pink" being its new feature.  Now pentax has released the Kx in 8 more colors?  Is this it.  Is this the end of the camera technology line?  Is it all over?  Will the 7D mk II feature suede as its new feature?
Title: camera tech: end of the line?
Post by: EinstStein on February 20, 2010, 04:56:23 pm
Purely from the technology stands, a revolution is just started, whether that makes sense for the comsumer is unknow. It could be over-kill.

For example, cameras with global shutter is coming. The possibllity is pre-exposure and predictive imaging. Meaning, you could tell the camera to start collecting images and store it as pre-exposures,but you click itto finalize it.
Th finalized image will be basically your picture as if you clock it the regular way, but the camera could use the pre-exposure to enhance it. You can post process it to increase the blurying or eliminate it. You can add more dynamic range or compress it. You can make it more grainy or opposite, ... . When combined dynamic range and storage speed makes it possible, yo don't need to preset the exposure. It could all be done in the post processing.

Also, you'll see 3D camera or camera with multiple lenses/sensors (Fuji annouce it in 2008, supposed to release in 2009 but not shown yet).
Now imaging a 24mmx36mm full frame 3D movie camera, with all thing considered in post processing.... in less than 10 years.
         


Quote from: DarkPenguin
Panasonic announced a new camera with "pink" being its new feature.  Now pentax has released the Kx in 8 more colors?  Is this it.  Is this the end of the camera technology line?  Is it all over?  Will the 7D mk II feature suede as its new feature?