Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: ejnewman on January 29, 2010, 09:18:54 am
-
Just wondering if anybody knows a way to setup a canon 1Ds Mark2 (or more recent model from canon) to only bracket up, so for example 0, +2, +4 ? That would mean I could use the expose to the right method to retain detail in the highlights, and then subsequent bracketed frames would be purely for shadow areas. I know you can change the order the brackets are taken but thats not the same thing.
Also does anybody know if there is a way to shoot mirror lockup through the entire bracketed set? IE the mirror doesnt drop back down until the bracketed frames are finished?
Thanks
Elliot
-
Try -3, 0, +3 bracketing with +3 exposure compensation. +1 or +2 exposure compensation would probably be best for general use to ensure at least 1 exposure has unclipped highlights.
-
Try -3, 0, +3 bracketing with +3 exposure compensation. +1 or +2 exposure compensation would probably be best for general use to ensure at least 1 exposure has unclipped highlights.
That's what I do with my 450D: I set it up to +2 exposure comp, and bracket at -2, 0 and +2. That way I get one ETTR shot, and two with reduced noise in the shadows at the cost of severe clipping. The I run them through tufuse or blend them in PS.
-
I can only seem to adjust exposure compensation in A mode, not M mode. I must be doing something wrong as thats what I thought would be the way but I can't seem to find a way to do it on this camera.
-
This is true for the 5DMII so see if its true for your body. Note, credit for this trick came from Bob Fisher when I asked a similar question:
Custom Function 9 allows you to enable or disable bracketing but it also
allows you to set the bracketing sequence. Setting 2 of CF 9 sets the
sequence at -, 0, + (Setting 3 of CF 9 disables that bracket sequence.
Settings 0 and 1 of CF 9 enable and disable a bracketing sequence of 0,
-, +). That setting 3 of CF 9, combined with an Exp Comp setting of +1
should give you a 0, + and ++ bracket (or normal, +1 and +2).
-
Exposure compensation is not applicable in manual mode. It refers to an adjustment to the camera's base auto exposure metering. In manual mode, you adjust base exposure manually. Set your manual exposure 2 stops above normal before bracketing.
-
Thought that would be the case. oh well.
Exposure compensation is not applicable in manual mode. It refers to an adjustment to the camera's base auto exposure metering. In manual mode, you adjust base exposure manually. Set your manual exposure 2 stops above normal before bracketing.
-
This is probably stupid question but is there a way to shoot raw, expose to the right and still get a good jpeg on the camera back to show to a client?
michael
-
This is probably stupid question but is there a way to shoot raw, expose to the right and still get a good jpeg on the camera back to show to a client?
Its a very good question. As far as I know, you can’t. You can play around with picture settings but we really need far more control.