Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: hassiman on November 09, 2009, 06:53:28 pm

Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: hassiman on November 09, 2009, 06:53:28 pm
Well the new 3880 driver for Snow Leopard has been poosted... still no update for the 3800.  I'm a bit dissapointed.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: Jeff Magidson on November 09, 2009, 07:54:18 pm
Sorry I'm not up on this topic, but I have a 3800 running Tiger. Are you able to print at all on the 3800 with Snow Leopard? Is there a work around? I'm going to need to upgrade to SL at some point.

thanks-

Jeff
http://artslidesboston.com (http://artslidesboston.com)


Quote from: hassiman
Well the new 3880 driver for Snow Leopard has been poosted... still no update for the 3800.  I'm a bit dissapointed.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: francois on November 10, 2009, 03:55:34 am
Quote from: hassiman
Well the new 3880 driver for Snow Leopard has been poosted... still no update for the 3800.  I'm a bit dissapointed.
In the meantime, have your read Lloyd Chambers's article on SL  & Epson 3800 printing? I don't know if the situation woth the Epson 3880 is similar or not.

It's here for those interested: http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-Printing.html (http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-Printing.html)
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 10, 2009, 02:24:37 pm
Quote from: Jeff Magidson
Sorry I'm not up on this topic, but I have a 3800 running Tiger. Are you able to print at all on the 3800 with Snow Leopard? Is there a work around? I'm going to need to upgrade to SL at some point.
I had to delete the printer and add it back to the printer list, but apart from that I've had no trouble at all printing under SL. However, I find I can't do anything other than print. In particular, I can't use the Epson PrinterWatcher utility, which I rather liked: it just doesn't see the printer at all. I've not tried all the steps set out in Chamber's guide, I confess, since my workaround is to go to my wife's rather older Mac and run the utility from that (it's a PPC machines, so can't use SL).

Jeremy
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: Per Ofverbeck on November 11, 2009, 04:14:52 am
Quote from: hassiman
Well the new 3880 driver for Snow Leopard has been poosted... still no update for the 3800.  I'm a bit dissapointed.

Haven´t had the time to check it out, but when I ran Software Update last night (after updating manually to 10.6.2 first), I also got an "Epson Printer Driver" update. Since the 3800 is my only installed Epson printer (when installing SL, I opted for only drivers for connected printers), I assume it is indeed the 3800 driver.  On the splas screen for the Epson Printer Utility, it says 6.57, FWIW.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: hassiman on November 11, 2009, 02:25:25 pm
As usual Epson support is clueless and say the most current 3800 driver is 6.11  I know that Epson UK had a 6.5X driver months ago.  I guess Epson USA is fairly not so much concerned with supporting their USA customers on Mac.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: francois on November 12, 2009, 02:23:56 am
Quote from: Per Ofverbeck
Haven´t had the time to check it out, but when I ran Software Update last night (after updating manually to 10.6.2 first), I also got an "Epson Printer Driver" update. Since the 3800 is my only installed Epson printer (when installing SL, I opted for only drivers for connected printers), I assume it is indeed the 3800 driver.  On the splas screen for the Epson Printer Utility, it says 6.57, FWIW.
That's interesting, I'll be running software update. Thanks for the info!
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: Ralph Eisenberg on November 12, 2009, 08:11:55 am
There was an article on this site a while back about a workaround for re-installing the latest driver. I followed the recommended procedure it indicated and have been using the 3800 without any notable difficulties on SL. Prior to that I had had some surprising issues with color management.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: howardm on November 12, 2009, 08:18:39 am
Perhaps Epson thought it important to get a working 3880 driver out since you know, it's new and that might help sell them vs. some mostly
unneeded update for a 3 yr old printer.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: madmanchan on November 12, 2009, 09:26:39 am
I do not have a Snow Leopard machine here to test, but there should be no problems with the 3800 on SL as long as you make sure the OS installer/updater doesn't overwrite some of the 3800 driver files. This can be done by following Lloyd's workaround (also described in these forums elsewhere).

As far as the 6.5x driver vs 6.11 driver, I don't believe that's an issue. To the best of my knowledge, 6.5x offers no practical advantage over the 6.11 driver for the 3800 model.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: Jack Flesher on November 13, 2009, 07:04:48 pm
I just finished printing a series on my 3800 using the 6.11 driver, printed directly from CS4 in SL with CS managing color and zero issues -- works just like it did before SL.  Not sure it matters, but I am running SL in default 32-bit mode, not 64-bit mode.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: francois on November 14, 2009, 04:53:00 am
Software update informed me that an update for the Epson 3800 driver was available. As for Per above, the new version is 6.57. I haven't noticed any difference compared to the previous version, though.
Title: Looks like no new SL driver for the 3800
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 14, 2009, 11:25:42 am
Quote from: madmanchan
I do not have a Snow Leopard machine here to test, but there should be no problems with the 3800 on SL as long as you make sure the OS installer/updater doesn't overwrite some of the 3800 driver files. This can be done by following Lloyd's workaround (also described in these forums elsewhere).

As far as the 6.5x driver vs 6.11 driver, I don't believe that's an issue. To the best of my knowledge, 6.5x offers no practical advantage over the 6.11 driver for the 3800 model.
Eric, should I be able to use the Epson print monitor stuff (like PrinterWatcher) under SL? I can print without problem, but the other stuff just doesn't see the printer. Is it a known problem, or is it just me?

Jeremy