Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Steve_Townsend on October 15, 2009, 09:16:51 am

Title: Battery Elinchrom Rangers ???
Post by: Steve_Townsend on October 15, 2009, 09:16:51 am
Hi

I had intended purchasing Elinchrom Rangers. But thought twice because of the limited use they would get and would appreciate your thoughts.

I have many RX flash heads in the studio and contemplated using these outdoors powered by a small Honda generator or inverter. I have never tried this but your advice, thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Steve
Title: Battery Elinchrom Rangers ???
Post by: pcunite on October 15, 2009, 10:09:41 am
You might research this if you want to avoid the noise from the Honda.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...d=7-10043-10273 (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10043-10273)
Title: Battery Elinchrom Rangers ???
Post by: Sheldon N on October 15, 2009, 03:05:39 pm
Are you running monolights? If so, do you already have a 1200 wattsecond head? The Ranger's extra stop of power above the 600RX monolight could come in handy when working outdoors against ambient.

I've found that the Ranger fits nicely into a studio workflow despite being battery powered. Fewer cables, lots of capacity for hundreds of shots, fast recycle. It might surprise you and end up seeing regular use in your studio.

The Ranger might also be a bit lighter/more compact than the inverter/monolight combination.