I don't have a GPS gadget for my 5d2. I do, however, have an iPhone. So my "clever" idea was to take one shot with the iPhone, then lots of shots with the 5d2, then copy the GPS location from the iPhone picture's metadata to the metadata of all the 5d2 shots.
However, I can't make LR cooperate.
Is it possible? Or do I need some other program?
Jeremy
This site may help you.Thanks - I'll follow the pointers, which may be useful. However, at first sight the applications mentioned do far more than I want (reading GPS tracks from GPS devices) and don't do the very simple thing that I need (reading a single location from a photo). I may have to resurrect my ancient programming skills, such as they were.
http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr_11/lr-11-gps.htm (http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr_11/lr-11-gps.htm)
Bob
Thanks - I'll follow the pointers, which may be useful. However, at first sight the applications mentioned do far more than I want (reading GPS tracks from GPS devices) and don't do the very simple thing that I need (reading a single location from a photo). I may have to resurrect my ancient programming skills, such as they were.
Jeremy
One free application that you might find very useful is ExifTool by Phil Harvey (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) - many of the GPS routines out there use this as their core.Thanks! I'd found ExifTool: as you observe, it forms the foundation of several other GPS routines, including GPSPhotoLinker (which is described in the article Bob mentioned). I've sent an email to the GPSPhotoLinker people, but they haven't replied.
It runs on both Mac and Windows - you may be able to program a script that reads the GPS locations from
you iPhone image (using ExifTool) and that then writes that metadata into other images (again using ExifTool).
Best of luck on this.
To be honest, learning Perl or whatever is overkill here. For Mac, get yourself HoudahGeo (I also recommend Geosetter on PC).You're right, of course, although it would be an entertaining exercise (I used to be able to pick up new programming languages pretty quickly, so it will be interesting to see how much my brain has deteriorated over the last 25 years!).
Anyway, I have a feeling that I may be able to get it done using AppleScript and ExifTool, which will be rather easier. If I get anything working, I'll report back.ExifTool will in fact do it in a single step, when run in Terminal as a command (thanks to the author, Phil, who replied immediately to my query).
I don't have a GPS gadget for my 5d2. I do, however, have an iPhone. So my "clever" idea was to take one shot with the iPhone, then lots of shots with the 5d2, then copy the GPS location from the iPhone picture's metadata to the metadata of all the 5d2 shots.
However, I can't make LR cooperate.
Is it possible? Or do I need some other program?
Jeremy
ExifTool will in fact do it in a single step, when run in Terminal as a command (thanks to the author, Phil, who replied immediately to my query).exiftool -tagsfromfile iPhone.jpg -gps:all FILES
Now all I need to do is to write some code (probably AppleScript) to wrap around it, and find a way to persuade LR to re-import the EXIF after it's been altered. As ever, the work will be in the gui.
Jeremy
ThomasK: Ian Wood also replied immediately, pointing out that if LR were scriptable, he'd be supporting it. It's a shame that LR doesn't provide even rudimentary support for AppleScript, but I suppose that there's less incentive to do that with a cross-platform application than with one (Aperture) that is going to run only on a Mac.
I have been using Jeffry Friedl's Lightroom plugin for quite some while now, as long as you can export a GPX file from whatever GPS logging device, this "just works" ... http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps (http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps)
Nick
With the iphone you need the app "Tracks". You simply sync the time code on you iphone with the camera time. When you start shooting you start Tracks and let it run until you are done shooting. You then email the GPS file created by Tracks to yourself and use the plugin mentioned above. Select your photos in LR and run the plugin and it will add the GPS metadata to your pics.Thanks, all, for the tips. Sounds even better than I was looking for. I'll investigate.
With the iphone you need the app "Tracks". You simply sync the time code on you iphone with the camera time. When you start shooting you start Tracks and let it run until you are done shooting. You then email the GPS file created by Tracks to yourself and use the plugin mentioned above. Select your photos in LR and run the plugin and it will add the GPS metadata to your pics.Nick,