Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on July 02, 2009, 03:01:51 pm

Title: High Park foliage & wildflowers
Post by: John R on July 02, 2009, 03:01:51 pm
I like the first shot a lot because of the bokeh and the contrast of colours, but the third shot proves I am going to need new glasses, as it is not quite as sharp as I thought. I think the flowers are sickle leaved golden asters, but I am sure Wolfnowl might tell me. Straight out of the camera and just a little brightening. Just dropped my Pentax K10D and ruined the 50-200, so I will have to look for a new lens.

JMR
Title: High Park foliage & wildflowers
Post by: wolfnowl on July 03, 2009, 02:33:09 am
Hi John:  Looks like common buttercup (Ranunculus sp.) to me.  It's definitely not an aster.  The other looks like a type of sword fern.

Nice work, BTW!

Mike.
Title: High Park foliage & wildflowers
Post by: John R on July 03, 2009, 09:07:48 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi John:  Looks like common buttercup (Ranunculus sp.) to me.  It's definitely not an aster.  The other looks like a type of sword fern.

Nice work, BTW!

Mike.
Thanks Mike, just looked them up, looks like creeping buttercup, as you said. They were so tall, about 2ft., so I never expected they were buttercups.

JMR
Title: High Park foliage & wildflowers
Post by: pegelli on July 03, 2009, 09:16:38 am
Nice play of lines and dof. Any way to give them a bit more "pop", they look a bit dull (or is that on purpose).
Title: High Park foliage & wildflowers
Post by: John R on July 03, 2009, 09:22:50 am
Quote from: pegelli
Nice play of lines and dof. Any way to give them a bit more "pop", they look a bit dull (or is that on purpose).
I tried that, and the problem with more pop is they lose the soft bokeh. These are straight out of the camera except for a touch of brightness level, not contrast, as this too adversely affects the bokeh. There is supposed to be a way to adjust the main subject without affecting the bokeh (background), but I don't know how to do this yet. Appreciate the comments.

JMR