Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Josh-H on June 28, 2009, 11:23:12 pm

Title: Super Duper for Image Library and System Back-up
Post by: Josh-H on June 28, 2009, 11:23:12 pm
Whats the general feeling or consensus on the best back-up software for backing up an image library and probably the O/S and apps as well to an external NAS.

Super duper? / Retrospective? / Other?

I have an image library close to a Terrabyte that I want to back up and store offsite on a NAS drive that will live in a safe when not in use.

I have had a quick look at Super duper and it seems to be vrey easy to use as well as highly regarded.
Title: Super Duper for Image Library and System Back-up
Post by: billbunton on June 29, 2009, 08:52:56 am
I've used SuperDuper for a long time and been very impressed with it as a disk duplication utility.  I use a combination of SuperDuper and Time Machine for a complete backup plan.
Title: Super Duper for Image Library and System Back-up
Post by: Josh-H on June 29, 2009, 08:56:08 am
Quote from: billbunton
I've used SuperDuper for a long time and been very impressed with it as a disk duplication utility.  I use a combination of SuperDuper and Time Machine for a complete backup plan.

Thanks for the reply - I downloaded the free version tonight and tried it and liked it - so bought it for the smart back-up and scheduling capabilities.
Title: Super Duper for Image Library and System Back-up
Post by: Jack Flesher on June 29, 2009, 11:39:00 am
I use Carbon Copy Cloner for both Mac OS and image back up and it works fine.  Super Duper's UI is a bit friendlier perhaps, but functionally there's not much difference -- either can schedule copies at the file, folder or partition level -- with or without overwriting and deletion -- and both can create a bootable copy of the Mac OS.  I use CCC to schedule daily and weekly copies of my OS to separate bootable partitions, so it's really easy to fix or re-install a bad OS on the fly without any downtime other than a system restart.  I only keep Time Machine running so I have historical access to my document and email files, though could certainly do a system rebuild from it if the need ever arises.
Title: Super Duper for Image Library and System Back-up
Post by: digitaldog on June 29, 2009, 12:09:36 pm
SuperDuper is awesome, bullet proof and has great tech support from Dave there. Using it for years. Backups up my drives each night while I'm sleeping.
Title: Super Duper for Image Library and System Back-up
Post by: jjlphoto on June 29, 2009, 01:17:59 pm
What's wrong with dragging? Can't you just drag what you want to copy to the back-up volume?
Title: Super Duper for Image Library and System Back-up
Post by: digitaldog on June 29, 2009, 01:33:55 pm
Quote from: jjlphoto
What's wrong with dragging? Can't you just drag what you want to copy to the back-up volume?

Slow, doesn't affect all files (certainly not useable for many system files), can't schedule when you're asleep, and you copy everything (new and old). SuperDuper and other backup applications only copy files changed since last back up, so its far, far faster.
Title: Super Duper for Image Library and System Back-up
Post by: Phil Indeblanc on June 30, 2009, 01:47:16 am
I use ACRONIS Backup.  Very good. Not sure if they have a MAC version.