Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: PeterAit on June 26, 2009, 07:02:19 pm
-
I think it's time to relegate my D80 to backup camera status, and I am considering either the D90 or the D700. I know the D700 gives me wider views with my wide angle (more of a concern for me than telephoto), and is also supposed to be truly outstanding in low light. but what else do I get for almost 3x the price? I have not seen anything to indicate the image quality is better.
Thanks,
Peter
-
I think it's time to relegate my D80 to backup camera status, and I am considering either the D90 or the D700. I know the D700 gives me wider views with my wide angle (more of a concern for me than telephoto), and is also supposed to be truly outstanding in low light. but what else do I get for almost 3x the price? I have not seen anything to indicate the image quality is better.
Thanks,
Peter
"better" is a relative term. for starters - use the dxomark site to review the two cameras side by side. They offer some real insight into the dynamic range, ISO, noise etc...
-
Big difference. Simply put, one is a consumer camera, and the other is a professional camera. Pushing the limits of my D700, I get photos you can't get on the D90. In the hands of a top pro photographer, they could get better photos on the D90 than those taken by an amature on a D700. Compare and understand the differences, and decide if it's worth the price for you. I love my D700. Had a D70s, D80, and D300 before this one.
-
The D700 is more capable overall. It has a better image quality (even in good light), better autofocus, weather resistance, and the list goes on.
I bought the D700 as soon as it was released but after a long while decided I'd rather have a much smaller, lighter camera. Picked up a D5000, sold the D700, and no regrets whatsoever. There are always compromises.