Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: JeffKohn on June 03, 2009, 02:03:06 pm

Title: Cannon Beach
Post by: JeffKohn on June 03, 2009, 02:03:06 pm
We were in Oregon for a week last month, spending the second half of the trip on the coast with our final stay at Cannon Beach. The first image is the traditional shot from Ecola State Park, probably the most photographed view on the Oregon Coast. A bit of a cliche, but if you visit the area you really need to see it for yourself, so why not take a picture while you're at it? The following morning for sunrise I decided to shoot from the beach itself, for a closer view of Haystack Rock. This turned out to be fairly difficult, as there's not much to use for a foreground and I didn't have a particularly amazing sky. It was a frustrating morning as I really struggled to find interesting compositions, I think this pano was probably my best attempt.


Sunset View, Ecola Point
(http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/113303874/original.jpg) (http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/113303874/original)



Morning Light, Cannon Beach
(Pano, click here (http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/113303341/original) or on image for larger version)
(http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/113303847/original.jpg) (http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/image/113303341/original)

Title: Cannon Beach
Post by: RSL on June 03, 2009, 05:24:52 pm
Quote from: JeffKohn
We were in Oregon for a week last month, spending the second half of the trip on the coast with our final stay at Cannon Beach. The first image is the traditional shot from Ecola State Park, probably the most photographed view on the Oregon Coast. A bit of a cliche, but if you visit the area you really need to see it for yourself, so why not take a picture while you're at it? The following morning for sunrise I decided to shoot from the beach itself, for a closer view of Haystack Rock. This turned out to be fairly difficult, as there's not much to use for a foreground and I didn't have a particularly amazing sky. It was a frustrating morning as I really struggled to find interesting compositions, I think this pano was probably my best attempt.

Jeff, They're both good shots but the Morning Light pic is especially fine. It makes a very good B&W too.

[attachment=14273:11330334...nonBeach.jpg]
Title: Cannon Beach
Post by: jasonrandolph on June 03, 2009, 05:30:28 pm
I agree with Russ.  Morning Light is beautifully composed and exposed.  Nice work!
Title: Cannon Beach
Post by: JeffKohn on June 03, 2009, 09:48:42 pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Russ I considered a B&W of the pano but wasn't happy with the lack of tonal separation on the rocks (especially Haystack Rock). I have some others I'm working on that I think are better suited to B&W.
Title: Cannon Beach
Post by: popnfresh on June 05, 2009, 07:11:02 pm
Both are competent landscapes, but Morning Light adds something special--a kind of surreal calmness. I like it.
Title: Cannon Beach
Post by: John R on June 05, 2009, 07:15:32 pm
Both great shots. It wasn't until I saw the larger version that I agree with the others on how good Morning light is.

JMR
Title: Cannon Beach
Post by: francois on June 06, 2009, 06:20:33 am
My favourite is also Morning Light. The foreground and background are well balanced and the subdued pink tone gives a quiet mood.

The Sunset View photo is nice with a warm golden light but it's not as strong as Morning Light.
Title: Cannon Beach
Post by: JeffKohn on June 06, 2009, 12:10:34 pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I wasn't really sure about 'morning light'. That was a frustrating morning. I was racing around trying to find some interesting compositions before the few remaining clouds drifted away to the south, and I just knew everything I was shooting was crap. There weren't many options for a foreground, and I didn't think Haystack Rock would make an interesting enough subject by itself. I kind of liked the way the water looped around from the foreground rocks towards Haystack rock in this pano, but wasn't sure if it was enough to tie everything together.