Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: PLLove on May 26, 2009, 05:47:43 pm
-
Can someone please suggest a good gas generator for use with my Profoto D4 2400 pack?
Thanks!
-Pat
-
Can someone please suggest a good gas generator for use with my Profoto D4 2400 pack?
Thanks!
-Pat
Pat,
One of the best portable generator manufacturers is Honda . . . . .why not "build" a battery invertor system? There are several blogs out there that describe the hows and whys.
Make sure that the invertor has a "pure" syne wave output and sufficient current (amp) output. The typical cost for a high current invertor is about $120.00 the only addition costs are wet/gel cell battery, cables and charger. For less than $150.00 USD you can put the whole system together.
Regards
Bob Wester
-
Honda EU3000iSA. I've used it with computers, kino flows, HMI's and strobes. Never had a problem and it's pretty quiet as well. Most rental houses in LA carry it.
[attachment=14029:Picture_1.png]
-
I have a Honda EU2000i and a EU1000i that I use with my Dyna-lite 2000 & 1000 ws packs. The EU1000i generator will only run 1 - 1000 pack. I've run at least 1 - 2000ws pack at full power off of my EU2000i generator plus a few other smaller accessories at the same time. If I recall correctly, I think I even ran 2 - 2000ws packs at full power, but I'd have to retest that to make sure that was the case.
I haven't used it with your specific pack but I bet it would work. I don't use the economy mode (ecothrottle) when using the power packs. I usually let it run at it's high rpm setting. You can even get an adapter to connect 2 - EU2000i generators together and get 4000watts of power (30 amps). I like the EU2000i because they are relatively light weight (46 lbs without fuel) and quiet to run. The EU3000i weighs 135 lbs without fuel. That is less fun to load and move around than my EU2000i.
I paid about $1000 for mine at Camping World (as a member, I think memberships are $29).
Anyway, you won't go wrong with the Honda generators. For battery flash units, I like my ProFoto 7B, but the max power is 1200ws (you get about 200 full power flashes from a fully charged battery).
Hope that helps,
Ken
-
Hello,
I have been using a Kipor IG2600 watt generator for a couple of years with no problems.
It can run 2 Bowens 3000 watt flash generators at full power and my Mac Book.
Also it is quieter than my Honda 1000 watt generator and cheaper to buy.
http://www.kipor-generators.com/ (http://www.kipor-generators.com/)
Cheers
Simon