Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: spotmeter on May 16, 2009, 11:41:59 am
-
I have run extensive tests on all my prime lenses on my Canon 5D and have found the optimum aperture for center and corner sharpness.
Will these change with the 5D2 because of the smaller pixel size?
-
Probably not. f/8 is generally the sweet spot for the criteria you specified.
-
not much difference between f8 and f11. i was pleasantly surprised how well the 5D2 holds up at f16 - f22.
-
No on pixel size but you may see a general drop off of perceived lens performance in the mk ii. This is due to the higher resolution sensor which shows lens shortcomings more than the slightly lesser resolution 5d. Once you are in 20 mp or up class, you pretty well need to use all L class lenses and even then, only the better L's.
-
"No on pixel size but you may see a general drop off of perceived lens performance in the mk ii. This is due to the higher resolution sensor which shows lens shortcomings more than the slightly lesser resolution 5d. Once you are in 20 mp or up class, you pretty well need to use all L class lenses and even then, only the better L's."
I have been shooting artwork on a 1DSmk3 this week, and the best lens I have used for sharpness and flatness has been a 100mm 2.8 macro - not an L series by any stretch, but produces excellent results...and they do not cost much. Completely outperformed the L series 24-75 f.2.8. I guess it all depends what you are shooting, but the primes from Canon can be superb, even when not 'L' series.
Nick
-
This is what you are looking for. Scroll down to get the input boxes and you can see exactly what your best aperture is:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials...photography.htm (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm)
-
I have been shooting artwork on a 1DSmk3 this week, and the best lens I have used for sharpness and flatness has been a 100mm 2.8 macro - not an L series by any stretch, but produces excellent results...and they do not cost much. Completely outperformed the L series 24-75 f.2.8. I guess it all depends what you are shooting, but the primes from Canon can be superb, even when not 'L' series.
Nick
Ditto to that , I use one all the time and its a superb lens, as are the other Canon primes I have ( 85mm 1.2 and 50mm 2.5 macro). crazily though the best performance I have seen off my 1ds3 was a 50mm AF nikkor with an adaptor!
-
I have run extensive tests on all my prime lenses on my Canon 5D and have found the optimum aperture for center and corner sharpness.
Will these change with the 5D2 because of the smaller pixel size?
If your previous tests showed a difference on the 5D, they will show that difference on the 5D2; that means that the lens was the limiting issue in performance rather than the resolution of the sensor. If two apertures showed about the same resolution on the 5D, it could be because the limiting factor in resolution was the sensor; in this case, it would be advisable to repeat the test with the 5D2 to see if indeed the sensor was the limiting factor in resolution, and whether with the higher resolution of the 5D2 you can now distinguish which of these two apertures has better resolution for the lens.
-
This is what you are looking for. Scroll down to get the input boxes and you can see exactly what your best aperture is:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials...photography.htm (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm)
Thanks, it is just what I am looking for.
-
Ditto to that , I use one all the time and its a superb lens, as are the other Canon primes I have ( 85mm 1.2 and 50mm 2.5 macro). crazily though the best performance I have seen off my 1ds3 was a 50mm AF nikkor with an adaptor!
then you should try a zeiss...
-
I try not to be too obsessive about my lenses. I have both a 5D and a 5DmkII. I have made wonderful images with a variety of lenses on both. Clients have never complained about sharpness or soft corners, etc...
I use mostly L glass. The 100 macro being the exception and a Sigma fisheye. (The 100 macro is awesome!)
I find that with a 24-105L @ 24mm ...f/13 is as far as I can handle for demanding work.
F/11 is about as far as I can shoot. F/16 shows loss, and f/22 is really soft in comparison. F/13 is a nice compromise...still sharp with enough DOF with hyperfocal distance.
I am eagerly waiting to see how the new 17mm TS-E and the 24 TS-E do on this body.