Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: spotmeter on May 10, 2009, 05:59:52 pm

Title: Achromatic macro for Canon G10?
Post by: spotmeter on May 10, 2009, 05:59:52 pm
I want to use my G10 for macros, but it does not focus very close except when in wide angle, which means I have to get the camera really close to the subject, which is not always possible.

I found that Lensmate makes a good quality adapter for the G10 so that I can mount a 58mm macro lens in front and use the longer end of the zoom.

After doing some research, I have decided to get a  +4 and a +7 close up lens.

Any recommendations for achromatic macro lenses in these strengths for the G10?  The achromats apparently are corrected for chromatic abberation, which would be a big help in macros.

Thanks.


Title: Achromatic macro for Canon G10?
Post by: Gordon Buck on May 10, 2009, 09:00:39 pm
The Canon 250D is a +4; I'm not aware of a +7 apochromatic.

I have a G9 and recently posted a few comparative photos taken at full telephoto using a +1, +2, +4 and +10 (cheap) attachments, see http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2009/04/1-2-4-10.html (http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2009/04/1-2-4-10.html) which also has a link to using the G9 with a reversed lens from a 35mm camera.
Title: Achromatic macro for Canon G10?
Post by: spotmeter on May 13, 2009, 09:06:43 pm
Quote from: gordonsbuck
The Canon 250D is a +4; I'm not aware of a +7 apochromatic.

I have a G9 and recently posted a few comparative photos taken at full telephoto using a +1, +2, +4 and +10 (cheap) attachments, see http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2009/04/1-2-4-10.html (http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2009/04/1-2-4-10.html) which also has a link to using the G9 with a reversed lens from a 35mm camera.

Thanks, Gordon, for the examples with different close up lenses.

I think I will get the Canon 250D.  It looks like what I am looking for in macro.

Do you happen to know anything about the Canon 500D achromatic?
Title: Achromatic macro for Canon G10?
Post by: Gordon Buck on May 13, 2009, 09:31:48 pm
Quote from: spotmeter
Thanks, Gordon, for the examples with different close up lenses.

I think I will get the Canon 250D.  It looks like what I am looking for in macro.

Do you happen to know anything about the Canon 500D achromatic?

Only what I've read.  The 250D is a +4 so the 500D is a +2 (inverse relationship).

I find the +4 to be increasingly useful because I like to separate the camera from the subject.  I can get away with a cheap lens because my final images are rarely viewed at more than 1028 x 768 pixels.