Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: mattyoung on May 10, 2009, 02:14:17 am

Title: Quantum Turbo 2x2: anyone know if the battery inside can be replaced?
Post by: mattyoung on May 10, 2009, 02:14:17 am
I think the battery cells inside are no good. The battery show fully charged, but the QFlash show check battery error.  The battery is about three years old and I rarely use it. I usually charge it up and when the battery is empty I charge it again. I am surprise it's gone bad this quick.

I tried taking it apart to see if I can replace the battery cells inside. Unscrewing the four screws at the top and the circuit box could come out only about half inch and just stuck there. I finally just pull real hard and the top circuit box came out. Turned out the battery is connect to the circuit box by a very short wire and it's not long enough to allow the top circuit box to come out completely.  I pulled the thing hard enough to force to connector out the the circuit and freed it.  But then battery inside at the bottom seem to be glued in and cannot be removed.

Anyway, do anyone here know how to get the battery replaced?

I emailed Quantum about this and they told me I can ship the battery back to them to get the battery replaced for $96. This is not too bad. But I would rather do this myself because it seems the battery don't last very long.
Title: Quantum Turbo 2x2: anyone know if the battery inside can be replaced?
Post by: Josh l. on May 10, 2009, 02:33:54 am
They do replace the cells, I want to say for the 2x2 it was $96 to replace the cells.

their website is www.qtm.com the info for repairs should be on there.
Title: Quantum Turbo 2x2: anyone know if the battery inside can be replaced?
Post by: PLLove on May 10, 2009, 09:12:28 am
Quote from: mattyoung
I think the battery cells inside are no good. The battery show fully charged, but the QFlash show check battery error.  The battery is about three years old and I rarely use it. I usually charge it up and when the battery is empty I charge it again. I am surprise it's gone bad this quick.

I tried taking it apart to see if I can replace the battery cells inside. Unscrewing the four screws at the top and the circuit box could come out only about half inch and just stuck there. I finally just pull real hard and the top circuit box came out. Turned out the battery is connect to the circuit box by a very short wire and it's not long enough to allow the top circuit box to come out completely.  I pulled the thing hard enough to force to connector out the the circuit and freed it.  But then battery inside at the bottom seem to be glued in and cannot be removed.

Anyway, do anyone here know how to get the battery replaced?

I emailed Quantum about this and they told me I can ship the battery back to them to get the battery replaced for $96. This is not too bad. But I would rather do this myself because it seems the battery don't last very long.

a buddy of mine went to his local small battery replacement shop and they have the actual battery cells that are used in the quantum.
Title: Quantum Turbo 2x2: anyone know if the battery inside can be replaced?
Post by: GregShapps on May 10, 2009, 11:48:49 am
have you tried Dasaga?

http://dasaga.com/ (http://dasaga.com/)
Title: Quantum Turbo 2x2: anyone know if the battery inside can be replaced?
Post by: mattyoung on May 10, 2009, 02:21:31 pm
Thanks everyone. I'll just send it back to Quantum. Too bad this thing is not user serviceable.