Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: tonysmith on April 14, 2009, 04:01:59 pm

Title: Puzzled by Panasonic Lumix LX3
Post by: tonysmith on April 14, 2009, 04:01:59 pm
For wide angle, the lens extends out.  For zoom, it retracts inward.

That's the opposite of what I am used to with any other camera.

Can anyone explain?

Many thanks
Title: Puzzled by Panasonic Lumix LX3
Post by: Jeremy Payne on April 14, 2009, 04:44:43 pm
Quote from: tonysmith
For wide angle, the lens extends out.  For zoom, it retracts inward.

That's the opposite of what I am used to with any other camera.

Can anyone explain?

Many thanks
I believe that's called a "reverse zoom" ... I think the Canon 24-70L does that ...

Don't quote me ... I'm recalling a conversation with another photographer in a "bar" in Amsterdam ... :-)
Title: Puzzled by Panasonic Lumix LX3
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 14, 2009, 07:10:56 pm
Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I believe that's called a "reverse zoom" ... I think the Canon 24-70L does that ...

Yes, same as the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8. In the case of these zooms, the goal is to optimize the usage of the lens shade... the longer the focal lenght the more recessed the lens front element is relative to the shade...

Cheers,
Bernard