Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: mike.online on January 24, 2009, 06:26:19 pm

Title: Breach
Post by: mike.online on January 24, 2009, 06:26:19 pm
Michael,

amazing capture. I especially like the framing in the background. Unfortunately though, I'm left wishing you had posted a larger version on the site so that i can see the breach more clearly. Possible?


Amazing stuff. Looks like an incredible adventure. Thanks for posting while still on the road home!
Title: Breach
Post by: jashley on January 25, 2009, 09:44:58 am
This is really Michael's forte--the wildlife/landscape combo photo.  I'm reminded of the "moose on the outcropping" one, too.  A large print of this must be truly stunning.
Title: Breach
Post by: Josh-H on January 25, 2009, 04:53:35 pm
For me this is a succesfull photograph for two reasons - it effectivley shows the animal in the landscape - as pointed out, a forte of Michaels [the shot of the penguin against the antarctica backdrop from a previous trip springs to mind] and secondly it has a pastel tone to it that is subdued and very appealing to my eye.

I do wish the whale were a little larger in the frame, but that is most likely just because the online image is so small.

John Hyde also has some wonderful whale photography here for anyone interested - its worth checking out: Wild Things Photography (http://www.wildthingsphotography.com/)

Lovely photograph Michael.
Title: Breach
Post by: michael on January 25, 2009, 07:13:23 pm
Hyde's whale photography is simply remarkable!

Michael

Title: Breach
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 25, 2009, 07:53:45 pm
Quote from: Josh-H
John Hyde also has some wonderful whale photography here for anyone interested - its worth checking out: Wild Things Photography (http://www.wildthingsphotography.com/)

Great images indeed.

This being said, some places are better than others to shoot whales. New Zealand, the Kaikoura area near Christ Church in particular, has a success rate of 98% watching sperm whales, and they typically surface less than 30 meters from the boat. I could be wrong, but I believe that some of his images were shot there.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Breach
Post by: Mort54 on January 25, 2009, 10:24:37 pm
Bernard, this is off topic, but I have just "discovered" your web site and you have an amazing collection of images there. Beautiful work.

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Great images indeed.
Title: Breach
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 25, 2009, 11:51:54 pm
Quote from: Mort54
Bernard, this is off topic, but I have just "discovered" your web site and you have an amazing collection of images there. Beautiful work.

Very kind of you, thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Breach
Post by: wolfnowl on January 26, 2009, 03:31:23 am
Quote from: BernardLanguillier
I could be wrong, but I believe that some of his images were shot there.

I could be wrong, but they all look like Alaska to me...  Beautiful work, though.

Mike.

Title: Breach
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 26, 2009, 09:18:58 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
I could be wrong, but they all look like Alaska to me...  Beautiful work, though.

I could be wrong, but you could be right.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Breach
Post by: Colorado David on January 26, 2009, 09:29:18 am
If you're viewing photos on the John Hyde site, move your cursor over image info.  You'll find they were shot in Alaska.
Title: Breach
Post by: Patrik on January 26, 2009, 12:08:15 pm
Great photo Michael !

But please take away two dust spots you have on the sensor at around "1 o'clock" and republish the picture.  I know it's a dry and windy climate so I guess the Sony dust function is not up to the task.

Thanks,
Patrik
Title: Breach
Post by: michael on January 26, 2009, 12:27:49 pm
Not dust. Birds.

On a large print they are a "feature" not a blemish.

Michael

Title: Breach
Post by: Patrik on January 26, 2009, 01:31:58 pm
[attachment=11138:birds.jpg]I see the black bird to the right of the picture but also the transparent rund birds a little more to the left and higher up one is more visible near a cloud and then there“s a faint one above it, I had birds like that on my Canon 1Ds in Sweden before and I had to redo prints once I missed them but the customer didn't so after that I am really looking out for those type of birds that can be seen all over the world.