Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: budjames on January 15, 2009, 05:00:29 am
-
I just discovered Art Wolfe's series on public TV, Travels to the Edge. Each 30 minute show is shot in an exotic location that I will probably never get to personally see. The production of the series is first class and the photography obviously is too. I recorded them all with my FIOS DVR and have watched each of them several times now. They're great!!!
He's a Canon shooter. The associated web site has tons of tips matching up to each segment of the program. Definitely worth checking out while we patiently wait for the next edition of the Luminous Landscape Video Journal.
Cheers.
Bud James
North Wales, PA
-
I've been watching the show since the beginning and second the recommendation.
It's great and one of the few shows on TV worth your time.
If you like the show, be sure to let the sponsors know so they don't drop it.
Jack
-
I've been watching the show since the beginning and second the recommendation.
It's great and one of the few shows on TV worth your time.
If you like the show, be sure to let the sponsors know so they don't drop it.
Jack
Jack,
I've only started watching it recently, so I missed season 1. I see on Art's web site the cool places that he visit in season 1 and I would really like to see these as well.
I'm going to check up his site again to see if I can buy the series on DVD. Unfortunately, they are not available on iTunes (LOL)!
Bud
-
Jack,
I've only started watching it recently, so I missed season 1. I see on Art's web site the cool places that he visit in season 1 and I would really like to see these as well.
I'm going to check up his site again to see if I can buy the series on DVD. Unfortunately, they are not available on iTunes (LOL)!
Bud
Definately can buy the DVD's (I purchased Bolivia, Alaska:Glacier Bay & Patagonia: Torres Del Paine) I believe for $39 or so
I agree very well done and would love more
-
I have seen the entire series to date and enjoyed them very much indeed. They are more travel orientated than say the LLVJ as there is no real substantial talk about equipment, but the locations are exotic, they are well filmed and entertaining.
Its hard to find good photographic shows so I latch on with both hands to them whenever I find them
Well worth the price of admission IMHO.
Here in Australia they have not been shown on TV or pay TV as yet to my knowledge.
-
http://travelstotheedge.com/ (http://travelstotheedge.com/)
Dvd's for $17.95 for each series or all four for $65.00
-
Another big fan of the series here!
Mike.
-
OK, you've all sold me on it. From the "Travels to the Edge" website, you can order both series I and series II for $130 total (consistent with the $65 for series I alone that someone mentioned above). I just ordered it. I love that sort of series!
Thanks for the suggestion,
Lisa
-
Another big fan of the series here!
Another big fan of Art, his work and gallery too. If you're even in Seattle, stop by (right near the big stadium downtown). Art's a super guy. Has a very nice learning center too in that location.
-
Rats! As expected, it doesn't seem to be listed on Connecticut Public TV. If anyone plans to move to CT, be sure you can get Boston or NY Public TV before you sign up for a satellite system. The Connecticut version is the worst I've seen anywhere in the country, unless you happen to enjoy Yanni, 80-year-old doo-wop singers and year-round begging for money. Looks like it's the DVD or nothing. Thanks for the tip anyway.
Peter J
-
can this be true?
you guys made me very curious and i just wanted to purchase one of these dvd's on art's website.
i'm living in austria (middle europe) and the shipping methods start at $129.11 ??
that's not fair.
i'm neither able to watch public tv, nor the dvd's from such recomended series??
congratulations to michael for his downloadservice!
that's the way.
i hope a new issue will be available soon.
greetings
tom
-
Hi,
how did you get this price ?
I am curious as I have sent two emails in about 5 weeks and have had no reply yet on a postage quote.
I have also telephoned opb and they couldn't tell me if they have the rights to ship overseas so couldn't order through them, they did quote me £20 shipping charges though IF I were able to order from them lol.
Cheers John
can this be true?
you guys made me very curious and i just wanted to purchase one of these dvd's on art's website.
i'm living in austria (middle europe) and the shipping methods start at $129.11 ??
that's not fair.
i'm neither able to watch public tv, nor the dvd's from such recomended series??
congratulations to michael for his downloadservice!
that's the way.
i hope a new issue will be available soon.
greetings
tom
-
Hi,
how did you get this price ?
I am curious as I have sent two emails in about 5 weeks and have had no reply yet on a postage quote.
I have also telephoned opb and they couldn't tell me if they have the rights to ship overseas so couldn't order through them, they did quote me £20 shipping charges though IF I were able to order from them lol.
Cheers John
hi,
i tried to purchaise from the website and added my location state/province and at the checkout there appeared the shipping methods.
start at $129.11
i would really like to watch those movies, but at this price - sorry.
tom
-
can this be true?
you guys made me very curious and i just wanted to purchase one of these dvd's on art's website.
i'm living in austria (middle europe) and the shipping methods start at $129.11 ??
that's not fair.
i'm neither able to watch public tv, nor the dvd's from such recomended series??
From the website:
We are happy to ship any order overseas. Please send us an e-mail regarding your request to [email protected] and we will respond to you within 24 hours.
-
From the website:
thanks, didn't see that hint.
thomas
-
I have emailed that address, twice now and got no reply. I have also phoned them and was given another email address to contact, still no reply, pretty disappointed in them to the point that I have lost interest, shame.
Cheers John
-
Some of the episodes are available on bittorrent, google for it.
-
I've only watched a few programs in the series and was disappointed with some of his technique, in particular interfering with the animals' behavior to get his picture. We can't help influencing their behavior to some degree but Art's making noises to attract their attention is over the line for me.
-
To those of you who enjoyed Travels to the Edge, I would suggest you watch Michael Wood's India. Although it is not specfic to photography, the cinematography is remarkable and many scenes would stand on their own as still shots; it is also a fascinating story.