Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: SteveBlack on January 05, 2009, 04:17:15 pm

Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: SteveBlack on January 05, 2009, 04:17:15 pm
Hey all,  
I'm trying to use a recently purchased belkin device to run additional FW 800 devices through the Expresscard but can't get the MBP to see the drives attached to the card.

I have a Belkin FireWire 800 ExpressCard Model F5U514. The Belkin web site says that it is good for the Mac.

The system profiler sees the two FW800 slots and they are visible in Preferences within the networking page.

The only sign that it is in use when plugged-in however is a small icon on the grey top-line on the display next to the Time Machine icon.

There are three line of info under this "card" icon
1. Unknown Vendor (greyed-out)
2. FireWire Controller (greyed-out)
3. Power off Card ( in bold black type )

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Thanks!

Steve
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: Roy on January 05, 2009, 10:17:04 pm
Does it need a driver? The express card esata adapter I use needs its own driver installed.
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: SteveBlack on January 06, 2009, 05:47:48 am
Hey Roy,

I checked with Belkin and they don't provide a driver for it, as they say the driver is native to the operating system...

Steve
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: francois on January 06, 2009, 06:00:34 am
I don't want to sound to pessimistic but most of the posts I've read about it say that it doesn't work well with Macs. Try to return it and get  something else.
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: SteveBlack on January 06, 2009, 08:17:37 am
Quote from: francois
I don't want to sound to pessimistic but most of the posts I've read about it say that it doesn't work well with Macs. Try to return it and get  something else.

Unfortunately that's what I'm seeing as well.  Frustrating to say the least, as I was hoping to take it on a trip leaving tomorrow.  I'll have to look around to see what else I can find on short notice!

Steve
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: rcdurston on January 06, 2009, 08:46:34 am
Quote from: SteveBlack
Unfortunately that's what I'm seeing as well.  Frustrating to say the least, as I was hoping to take it on a trip leaving tomorrow.  I'll have to look around to see what else I can find on short notice!

Steve
Talk to Latisha at Wiebetech  316-744-8722 ext. 20
she can probably get one out to you overnight in the US or help search with you to find one close to you
Here (http://www.wiebetech.com/products/TeraCard_Express34.php)

I cant say enough good things about their products and service; I wish all companies were run so smoothly.

r
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: SteveBlack on January 06, 2009, 11:30:20 am
Quote from: rcdurston
Talk to Latisha at Wiebetech  316-744-8722 ext. 20
she can probably get one out to you overnight in the US or help search with you to find one close to you
Here (http://www.wiebetech.com/products/TeraCard_Express34.php)

I cant say enough good things about their products and service; I wish all companies were run so smoothly.

r

Thanks - I'll check into that.  Do you know offhand if the firewire adapter can power an external hard drive or requires it's own power source?  (Edit: Looks like it will require an external power adapter to power the drives, but at least it should work!)

Steve
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: Jack Flesher on January 06, 2009, 12:28:57 pm
Stupid question, but if you have a MacBook Pro, it should have a "built-in" FW 800 port -- mine does and it works great with my external FW drive, even powers it...  If you need multiple units, you can daisy-chain them but then probably will need the power adapters.
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: rcdurston on January 06, 2009, 01:28:44 pm
Quote from: Jack Flesher
Stupid question, but if you have a MacBook Pro, it should have a "built-in" FW 800 port -- mine does and it works great with my external FW drive, even powers it...  If you need multiple units, you can daisy-chain them but then probably will need the power adapters.
Not all MacBook Pros have FW800, those with only Core Duo (cept for the 17) only had FW400.
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: rcdurston on January 06, 2009, 01:35:02 pm
Quote from: SteveBlack
Thanks - I'll check into that.  Do you know offhand if the firewire adapter can power an external hard drive or requires it's own power source?  (Edit: Looks like it will require an external power adapter to power the drives, but at least it should work!)

Steve
It does not have power coming out of it. It is a fact with all Express34 cards. 1-866-744-8722
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: SteveBlack on January 06, 2009, 03:08:41 pm
My mac does have a fw800 port - but looking to see if i could connect a card reader and backup drive (or drives) at the same time by adding the two additional ports.  The drives I have don't have an FW output, so daisy chaining is out of the picture.  I think the issue with the Belkin adapter may be one where power is needed (as with the Wiebetech), but unfortunately Belkin support is terrible.  Looks like I'll be returning it and trying a new route.
Title: Belkin ExpressCard 34 Firewire 800 adapter
Post by: rcdurston on January 06, 2009, 03:11:40 pm
Quote from: SteveBlack
My mac does have a fw800 port - but looking to see if i could connect a card reader and backup drive (or drives) at the same time by adding the two additional ports.  The drives I have don't have an FW output, so daisy chaining is out of the picture.  I think the issue with the Belkin adapter may be one where power is needed (as with the Wiebetech), but unfortunately Belkin support is terrible.  Looks like I'll be returning it and trying a new route.
I use an Express 34 card reader and plug my lacie (POS) Rugged drive into the FW400 port.