Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: ThePhotoDude on October 31, 2008, 01:28:13 pm
-
I have had so many problems getting skin tones right on HP Artist Matte Canvas, I have profiled, re-profiled using APS.
I have edited the profile to get rid of huge over contrast issues.
I have spent loads on canvas and ink trying to sort this.
Now I have now logged a call with HP who tell me that there used to be a reddish skin tone issue with this canvas way back with version 4 of the firmware.
This was fixed in version 5 - I am running version 7 and I am having this issue.
They told me to try not use APS and just use Colour Center in the HP Utility to try out if I get better results.
All in all very frustrating!
So, maybe I ditch Artist Matte Canvas and try something else.
I want a Professional Canvas with accurate colours, bright white etc.
I need to be able to stretch over canvas stretcher bars... can you do this with all canvas?
Your thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated!
Thanks
-
I use Breathing Color's Chromata Brilliance White on my Z3100 - a canvas/polyester blend. I find it great for stretching and is very consistent from roll to roll. Coating with Glamour II sealant I get nice colours and deep blacks. So many other canvas products out there so I can't say which is best.
Neal
-
I also use Breathing Color's Chromata Matte Canvas for fine art repros on my Z3100. The artists use the Glamor II varnishes and are very happy with the results.
Jim Cole
-
I use Sihl 3948 Instant Dry Satin, InkAid 901 ( very smooth surface), and Lexjet Sunset Select Matte. Each works well. I coat with ClearShield Type C, which sprays quite well through a Wagner HVLP.
David V. Ward
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography
www.dvward.com
-
I've had good success with three canvas brands on the Z3100.
Breathing Color Chromata White, IJT Water Resistant Matte, and Intellicoat Torino have run well.
-
I use Breathing Color, both matte and glossy (you have to call and ask for their glossy). I stretch on heavy ( 1.5 inches deep) stretcher bars, and gallery wrap. I coat the matte with Glamour II (before I stretch) and spray the glossy with Permier Art clear spray ( 2 medium coats before I stretch). Colors are amazing. I'm printing with an Epson 9880 but I think you'd get great results with this brand canvas with most printers. I use Imageprint RIP profiles. See attached image of a 34X42 stretched canvas print. Eleanor
-
Hello Eleanor,
If you don't mind I had a couple of questions.
Are you switching blacks, when you use the glossy or Chromata White BC canvas.
Are you on BC glossy canvas lot 1468 or 1469
Have you tried spraying the BC glossy canvas with Glamour II, glossy coating?
Thanks
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
-
Paul I'm on lot 1468, which, I'm told, is the "new" glossy canvas" that is better than the old. I'm also told that they don't advertise this (you have to call) because they don't have a good coating for it yet. They recommended Bulldog spray which I haven't tried yet as the minimum order is 5 liters. This is available at inkjetart.com. I have the premierart Printshield on hand so used that. Stephen at Breathing Color said do not roll on the Glamour II! I think spraying on would be OK. Ideally I would prefer to use the matte canvas and coat with Glamour II but my epson 9880 has photo black ink and it is too costly and takes too much time to switch inks so I'm stuck with the glossy on that printer. I have a 24 inch 7800 with matte black ink so I can print the matte canvas on that printer, but can't go very large. eleanor
Hello Eleanor,
If you don't mind I had a couple of questions.
Are you switching blacks, when you use the glossy or Chromata White BC canvas.
Are you on BC glossy canvas lot 1468 or 1469
Have you tried spraying the BC glossy canvas with Glamour II, glossy coating?
Thanks
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
-
Hello Eleanor,
Thanks for the reply. I have been using 1469, look for my PM. Before that I used 1468. You can spray coat either with Glamour II, with a HVLP gun, I use a wagner, no need for
a compressor. I was curious what your thoughts were since I am like you, I can't run my 9880 with Matte black just for canvas and the switch is too expensive as basically the
printer does a complete power cleaning each time you swtich, Epson just doesn't call it one.
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
-
Breathing Color, call them and ask for a test roll. Nice guys.
-Nik
-
Paul, which model Wagner do you use and what dilution? eleanor
Hello Eleanor,
Thanks for the reply. I have been using 1469, look for my PM. Before that I used 1468. You can spray coat either with Glamour II, with a HVLP gun, I use a wagner, no need for
a compressor. I was curious what your thoughts were since I am like you, I can't run my 9880 with Matte black just for canvas and the switch is too expensive as basically the
printer does a complete power cleaning each time you swtich, Epson just doesn't call it one.
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
-
The Wagner is just called the HVLP gun. They don't have a model number
Exact name is the HVLP Control Spray Lock -n - Go
Here is a link to Wagner's site that shows it.
http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/wagn...,43203,747.html (http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/wagner_controlspray_spray,43203,747.html)
I currently dilute 50/50 water/glamour II.
I have found that you really have to mix it up well almost with some form of agitator to really get a good blend.
Once mixed well it stays in solution for a good time probably 3 weeks or so.
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
-
OK Wow, thank you all for wonderful suggestions. I have decided to give Breathing Color Chromata White a go - what reference paper shall I tell my Z3100 to use when beginning a profile/set up of this canvas?
Thanks
-
I have decided to give Breathing Color Chromata White a go - what reference paper shall I tell my Z3100 to use when beginning a profile/set up of this canvas?
Fine Art Material > Canvas
-
I have been using 1469, look for my PM. Before that I used 1468.
This post is for Paul and Eleanor, and for anyone else who may have used the latest incarnation of the BC glossy canvas.
I tried the BC glossy back when it was still listed on their website, almost two years ago now. I loved the gamut, dmax, and appearance of the canvas, had to coat it with a solvent-based spray (didn't try a water-based coating with a HVLP gun, just experimented and found I couldn't get away with brush or roller application), but ultimately had a very consistent problem with flaking (before I could even coat the canvas).
I don't know the lot number of the canvas I was using, but I ordered it in early 2007. I'd heard that they were re-formulating the canvas, but hadn't seen it available on their website yet.
So, what I was wondering was if the new stuff has resolved the flaking problem. The problem I has was pretty prevalent, with at least a third, and maybe even half, my canvas prints having some degree of flaking on the image area without my even stretching the canvas. I don't know if both 1468 and 1469 are newer formulations than the canvas I used, but I'd be very interested in hearing how they perform in regard to the flaking issue.
Like I said, I rather liked the canvas, but was pretty disappointed with the problems I had. Also, I'll admit, I lost some confidence in BC, in regard to the fact that they released a product with such a pronounced problem, obviously, without sufficient testing (and thus wasting a fair amount of my time and money). However, if they've gotten their act together, I'd be open-minded about giving them another try.
Kind Regards,
Mike
-
Fine Art Material > Canvas
OK thank you. Sorry if it was so blindingly obvious!
I wasn't sure if I needed Prof Canvas or whatever. That's great, cheers!