Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: rothberg on October 31, 2008, 08:17:16 am

Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: rothberg on October 31, 2008, 08:17:16 am
This is a fan boy post   
After reading the review here I purchased a G10.  After a day of carrying the thing around, this morning I put the SD card in the computer and launched Lightroom.  Nuts! Lightroom won’t open the RAW files.  A very short search here produced both the reason and the solution.
So let’s see:
Shooting RAW: I was using a D30 when I switched after reading an article here and doing a test.
Lightroom: Downloaded the Beta version after a review here
G10: Should I? Shouldn’t I?  A rave review here tipped the balance.
Can’t open a RAW file? The Forum has the answer.

Thank you Michael, I work faster and smarter because of your excellent web site.
Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 31, 2008, 09:10:55 am
Amen!

Having checked out several other forums, I keep coming back to this one. It's the only one I visit regularly.
Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: jjj on October 31, 2008, 10:02:15 am
Agreed, the signal to noise ratio is better here than most other places.
Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: dchew on October 31, 2008, 12:46:33 pm
Quote from: jjj
Agreed, the siganl [sic] to noise ratio is better here than most other places.

Yes, especially given the high ISO capability of the participants.

Thanks Michael and all you active contributors.

Dave Chew
Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: walter.sk on October 31, 2008, 01:24:45 pm
Quote from: dchew
Yes, especially given the high ISO capability of the participants.

Thanks Michael and all you active contributors.

Dave Chew
I'll add my $.02 here, as well.  I have got more correct and helpful responses here, over a wide range of topics, than on any other forum.  I also have praise for the generally non-combative tone.  In return I am always happy to help out somebody else when I can answer in a productive way.
Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on October 31, 2008, 02:34:25 pm
Good to hear these positive comments. It makes acting as the janitor too often worthwhile...
Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: Moynihan on November 01, 2008, 09:24:08 am
Yep.
For me,

This site.
Online Photographer
Hogan's site (I am a Nikon user)
Lenswork podcasts.

 
Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: James R on November 01, 2008, 01:41:55 pm
Must agree.  I rely on the information gathered from this site, whether it's on the forum or LL's numerous reviews and videos.  A very nicely balanced website.


jr
Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: The View on November 01, 2008, 07:13:18 pm
It's more about photography here than on any other photography forum.

No nonsense babble threads, very little fanboy-ism/brand infighting.

Every department has some very knowledgeable people posting regularly there.


edit: there could be a little bit more moderation, listening what someone else says, even if one doesn't agree.

There is a strength in dealing with opposing opinions calmly, and not everybody has it.


Title: On The Value of Forums
Post by: Rob C on November 03, 2008, 10:30:04 am
Quote from: The View
edit: there could be a little bit more moderation, listening what someone else says, even if one doesn't agree.

There is a strength in dealing with opposing opinions calmly, and not everybody has it.


Amen!

Rob C