Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: marcwilson on May 27, 2008, 05:19:50 pm

Title: Lighting gear bag suggestions?
Post by: marcwilson on May 27, 2008, 05:19:50 pm
Hi Guys,
Has anyone found a great bag for the following lighting gear:
2 x bowens monobloc heads
1 x bowens battery power pack
Couple of refelector  /spill kills
Accessories such as power block adaptor, cables, etc.
No need for lighting stands, reflectors, etc as they all go in a separate long bag...so ideally something rectangular shaped as opposed to long.

Cheers,

Marc
Title: Lighting gear bag suggestions?
Post by: timhurst on May 28, 2008, 03:51:28 am
I'd check out the Lightware cases - be warned they are quite pricey though. Bowens do a metre long wheeled bag which will hold your gear but it's utter cr@p.

http://www.theflashcentre.com/lightware-c32.html (http://www.theflashcentre.com/lightware-c32.html)
Title: Lighting gear bag suggestions?
Post by: Craig Lamson on May 28, 2008, 12:41:15 pm
Quote
I'd check out the Lightware cases - be warned they are quite pricey though. Bowens do a metre long wheeled bag which will hold your gear but it's utter cr@p.

http://www.theflashcentre.com/lightware-c32.html (http://www.theflashcentre.com/lightware-c32.html)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I have and still use Lightware cases purchased in the early 1990.  Very high quality stuff.
Title: Lighting gear bag suggestions?
Post by: marcwilson on May 28, 2008, 01:02:32 pm
Quote
I'd check out the Lightware cases - be warned they are quite pricey though. Bowens do a metre long wheeled bag which will hold your gear but it's utter cr@p.

http://www.theflashcentre.com/lightware-c32.html (http://www.theflashcentre.com/lightware-c32.html)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198478\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Yes I have the bowens bag and yes I agree completely with you...but it came as  a kit I got so no big deal!
Basically I want to avoid the long bags so I'll have  a look at the lightware ones...pointless having expensive lighting gear and shoving it in a non safe bag!

the lightware ones do look like the right thing..for my needs the soft bags with some added boards may be right.
Title: Lighting gear bag suggestions?
Post by: jcote on May 30, 2008, 09:25:57 am
Marc,

I will give the third or fourth endorsement for Lightware. I have bought new and used Lightware cases for all of my travel equipment over the years. I have had some of it for a long time and it hold up.

Here is the best testimonial. I used a new assistant for a big shoot last year. This guy had a lot of experience, mostly with the same shooter who had hard shell cases by the leading competitor. When we got done hauling my Lightware up the stairs to the location  this guy said it seemed like the best stuff he had ever dealt with. He said his back thanked me for buying Lightware. That's enough for me.
Title: Lighting gear bag suggestions?
Post by: Hank on May 30, 2008, 10:07:01 am
I'll open your range of options and suggest the roller cases from Tamrac.  We've got most of them in long versions and square versions, and they're about the toughest we've found.  We beat the stuffings out of them and they hold up beautifully while protecting our gear admirably.  The rectangular roller bags have extendible handles and are so convenient and comfortable to use, they'll have you looking at their wheeled long bags.  At the end of long days of location shooting you'll bless those wheels.

I haven't priced Bowens or Lightware so I can't comment on their pricing, other than to say that we find the Tamrac pricing to be moderate, especially compared to service life and utility.