Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: jrmintz on March 30, 2008, 01:00:39 am
-
I have a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L that is the lens I most often use with my 5D. I could be imagining it, but I have the distinct impression that pictures taken with the lens have gotten harsh and edgy looking recently, and lost smoothness. Is that possible? What could have changed to cause it?
Thanks
-
The lens being the culprit is only slightly more likely than being abducted by aliens. What's far more likely is a change in RAW processing settings or your sharpening workflow, or perhaps camera settings if you're shooting JPEGs. Another possibility is that your subject matter is different, or you changed your lighting.
-
The lens being the culprit is only slightly more likely than being abducted by aliens. What's far more likely is a change in RAW processing settings or your sharpening workflow, or perhaps camera settings if you're shooting JPEGs. Another possibility is that your subject matter is different, or you changed your lighting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The night before I shot with my newer 70-200 f/2.8 in a similar setting, music in a nightclub, and the images had the smoothness that I remember the 24-70 f/2.8 having had when it was newer.
-
Have you checked your settings?
-
Have you checked your settings?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm sorry, which settings? The camera and raw processor are the same as always and other lenses look fine. This particular 24-70 lens appears to have changed over time in a way which produces harsher contrast pictures than it used to. It's possible I'm remembering incorrectly, but having looked at some older images which look better I think it's possible the lens has deteriorated in some way.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Thanks
-
Hi!
I don't think a lens can deteriorate so it gives harsher contrast. The other way around it is quite possible.
Best regards
Erik
I'm sorry, which settings? The camera and raw processor are the same as always and other lenses look fine. This particular 24-70 lens appears to have changed over time in a way which produces harsher contrast pictures than it used to. It's possible I'm remembering incorrectly, but having looked at some older images which look better I think it's possible the lens has deteriorated in some way.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
I knocked a Nikon binocular lens slightly out of alignment once and couldn't get the focus right after that. I'd look into both ends of the lens with a good LED flashlight (narrow beam). If you don't see anything amiss there, you could try shooting some simple targets with cross-hatched lines to check for alignment.
-
Perhaps the lens was always out of alignment, and a sudden jar has now brought it to its best sharpness.