Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Boris_Epix on March 08, 2008, 08:42:47 am
-
Just in case anyone is interested to download another RAW file from the PhaseOne P30+ you can go ahead here:
RAW file DOWNLOAD LINK valid for 7 days or 100 downloads (http://download.yousendit.com/CFB6EEF5618DA41A)
This one I shot indoor with Elinchrom strobes.
PhaseOne P30+ ISO 100
on Hasselblad H2 with 80mm lens at f9,5 and 1/500s
Please respect my copyright.
Cheers
Boris
-
Hi Boris,
Many thanks for posting this - much appreciated!
I pushed the file two stops in Lightroom and there was still very little noticeable noise that I could see, which I was quite impressed by
I'm no retoucher, and my PS skills are very basic. Are you adverse to people posting their version of your file?
Andy.
-
Hi Boris,
Many thanks for posting this - much appreciated!
I pushed the file two stops in Lightroom and there was still very little noticeable noise that I could see, which I was quite impressed by
I'm no retoucher, and my PS skills are very basic. Are you adverse to people posting their version of your file?
Andy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179999\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No. Go ahead. Feel free to post here in this thread.
-
As I said, my PS skills are extremely limited, so apologies if I've butchered your shot!
-
I pushed the file two stops in Lightroom and there was still very little noticeable noise that I could see, which I was quite impressed by
Actually, you pushed it only one stop, because ACR automatically applies -1 EV to the Phase One ISO 100 images, without indicating it.
It could have been exdposed 1 2/3 stops higher. The best feature of this camera is, that it makes great images even if exposed three stops away from the right.
-
Actually, you pushed it only one stop, because ACR automatically applies -1 EV to the Phase One ISO 100 images, without indicating it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Why does it do that?
-
Why does it do that?
I don't know. Someone posted on another thread, that the Phase One cameras did not have truly different ISOs, instead pushing/pulling the brightness in PP has been adopted as an "ISO substitute". This is certainly not the case now, but perhaps Adobe believes this still so (if this really had been so).
ISO 100 gets -1 EV, ISO 400 +1 EV and ISO 800 +2 EV automatic adjustment. I don't have any ISO 200 images. If Boris uploads one, I can analyze it.
I guess this is a non-issue with C1, but one needs to be aware of this with ACR.
-
Hi Andy,
Had a bit of a play with your great image using Nik Colour Efix filters, hope you don't mind.
As a Leaf user very impressed with Phase raw files.
Cheers
Simon
-
Hi Andy,
Had a bit of a play with your great image using Nik Colour Efix filters, hope you don't mind.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ha! I wish
I do believe the plaudits should be Boris' (the original poster)
-
I don't know. Someone posted on another thread, that the Phase One cameras did not have truly different ISOs, instead pushing/pulling the brightness in PP has been adopted as an "ISO substitute". This is certainly not the case now, but perhaps Adobe believes this still so (if this really had been so).
ISO 100 gets -1 EV, ISO 400 +1 EV and ISO 800 +2 EV automatic adjustment. I don't have any ISO 200 images. If Boris uploads one, I can analyze it.
I guess this is a non-issue with C1, but one needs to be aware of this with ACR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I did wonder why the image appeared somewhat underexposed. Thanks for explaining
-
Gidday,
Whoops sorry Boris wrong name.
Cheers
Simon
-
I did wonder why the image appeared somewhat underexposed. Thanks for explaining
I often tend to underexpose a bit to get more detail in the skin and make it look a bit more tan. Then in post processing I just lift the parts. Over here we have a lot of pale people and digital captures in my experience usually create too bright and "white-ish" skintones (Canon 1Ds MK2 was particularly bad in this regard IMO) when exposed properly. Astia was much more pleasing with skintones from the start. So that's intentional.
Anyway for this shot I was going for a darker look than normal too using backlighting and grids. However this particular model was very tan to start with making my digital life much easier.
Andy: For your conversion / retouching: I think you got a nice version out of it. I often also go towards greenish backgrounds ... I feel that's one of the looks that works great with digital. One thing I would have changed a bit I guess would be the big difference between the brightness of the left arm and the face.
I assume you have used ACR for the conversion, right? I used Lightroom and am usually very pleased with it but when I check the edges there are often strange transitions. So I guess I'm at times going a bit overboard with the fill-light and recovery sliders :-)
Cheers
Boris
-
Here's my little edit..
[attachment=5520:attachment]