Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on February 28, 2008, 09:57:21 am
-
Don't know if they are available in the rest of the world at the same price, but I just purchased a 32GB Transcent compact flash for 19.600 Yen in Akihabara (that is about 180 US$). Better yet, a friend bought it for me.
I just shot quickly 2.200 raw frames of my kitchen sink with my D3 and the thing seems to work perfect and to be plenty fast for most applications (it is rated as being 133x). The sink images appear to be just as exciting as those shot with supposedely better media.
This being said, I am really shocked to see the price per GB of this card, it is about 20 times cheaper than the Sandisk Extreme III cards I bought a bit more than one year ago, and the Transcend doesn't seem to be that much slower.
Another thing to consider is the weight per GB, we are close the superman's knowledge crystals, and I am sure that there must be something good related to this.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Don't know if they are available in the rest of the world at the same price, but I just purchased a 32GB Transcent compact flash for 19.600 Yen in Akihabara (that is about 180 US$). Better yet, a friend bought it for me.
I just shot quickly 2.200 raw frames of my kitchen sink with my D3 and the thing seems to work perfect and to be plenty fast for most applications (it is rated as being 133x). The sink images appear to be just as exciting as those shot with supposedely better media.
This being said, I am really shocked to see the price per GB of this card, it is about 20 times cheaper than the Sandisk Extreme III cards I bought a bit more than one year ago, and the Transcend doesn't seem to be that much slower.
Another thing to consider is the weight per GB, we are close the superman's knowledge crystals, and I am sure that there must be something good related to this.
Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That is slightly cheaper at todays $-£ exchange rate than the 8Gb extreme 4 card I bought this week.
Glad that the sink pictures lose nothing for being stored on less expensive media, though I'm not sure that I'd have the patience to shoot 2200 images at one sitting!
Mike
-
I just shot quickly 2.200 raw frames of my kitchen sink with my D3 and the thing seems to work perfect and to be plenty fast for most applications (it is rated as being 133x). The sink images appear to be just as exciting as those shot with supposedely better media.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bernard,
I'm really looking forward to your New York exhibit of all 2200 of your kitchen sink photos. When is the opening reception?
Cheers,
Eric
-
Bernard,
I'm really looking forward to your New York exhibit of all 2200 of your kitchen sink photos. When is the opening reception?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178023\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The MOMA is now turning me down on the claims that the sink images would not have been taken with certified digital film...
I might hold a private exhibition instead in my new loft (the one I bought thanks to the savings on the memory cards).
You'll be the first to be informed Eric!
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Just did a Google of it and Newegg.com has it for $149.99.
Wow!!
-
Personally, I would rather have a few smaller cards so that if this monster goes bad for whatever reason, I haven't lost a whole day or two of shooting. (In Antarctica!!)
Better safe than sorry, eh?
-
Personally, I would rather have a few smaller cards so that if this monster goes bad for whatever reason, I haven't lost a whole day or two of shooting. (In Antarctica!!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, that is a valid concern.
On the other hand, bodies like the D3 I own have a RAID 1 built-in capability where the images shot are written simultaneously to 2 cards. This adds a significant level of security.
Besides, when shooting in extreme environments (cold or high), the possibility to have a problem (card drop,...) when changing the cards, or to get confused and overwrite an already full card becomes significant. Having fewer items to manage in the inventory becomes incredibly valuable when the going gets tough.
I have never had a real card failure in fact, a few times the TOC became weird for whatever reason, but Photorescue always managed to recoved 99% of the images on the card.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
After 120,000+ frames, I've never lost images due to unexpected card failure, but I've missed shots numerous times while switching cards or because the card in the camera was full and I didn't have another handy. Give me 64GB carda and I'll be happy never to have to switch in the middle of a job.
-
If CF capacities keep going up and prices keep dropping at this rate then Blue Ray is a dead duck (forget that it has just knocked HD DVD off its perch).
-
D
I just shot quickly 2.200 raw frames of my kitchen sink with my D3 and the thing seems to work perfect and to be plenty fast for most applications (it is rated as being 133x). The sink images appear to be just as exciting as those shot with supposedely better media.
Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
you doing shutter durability testing on the D3? In another 100 days your D3 is worn out.
Sometime in June, I think,
Bob
-
you doing shutter durability testing on the D3? In another 100 days your D3 is worn out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178108\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a lucky man, I expect to do at least double the rated MTBF, meaning up to 600.000 frames.
Considering that I took 2000 images in about 40 minutes (CH + release cable locked), the body will be gone in less than 2 weeks actually.
I'll finally be able to move on with my life past my D3 addiction. Technology is a wonderful thing!
Cheers,
Bernard
-
After 120,000+ frames, I've never lost images due to unexpected card failure, but I've missed shots numerous times while switching cards or because the card in the camera was full and I didn't have another handy. Give me 64GB carda and I'll be happy never to have to switch in the middle of a job.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Actually, you have them already with a D3. Just put 2x32GB card in in sequential mode, and you have 4500 raw images autonomy without ever opening the CF door of the camera.
That's about 150 rolls of 36 views film.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Actually, you have them already with a D3. Just put 2x32GB card in in sequential mode, and you have 4500 raw images autonomy without ever opening the CF door of the camera.
That's about 150 rolls of 36 views film.
Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There's a rumor going around that you only took 1100 shots, and then duped them in Lightroom...
If you go trekking, and take two 32-gig cards...uh, how long will that take you to download? Can you stop in the middle? Or just leave them overnight?
JC
-
I am a lucky man, I expect to do at least double the rated MTBF, meaning up to 600.000 frames.
Considering that I took 2000 images in about 40 minutes (CH + release cable locked), the body will be gone in less than 2 weeks actually.
I'll finally be able to move on with my life past my D3 addiction. Technology is a wonderful thing!
Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178123\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
hopefully not all 600,000 frames are of the same sink, if so it would definitely be a record!!
Edward Weston would be rolling over in his grave.
Bob
-
Bernard's going quite a long way to proving an earlier statement of mine that with the D3 and a few 'relatively' inexpensive high capacity CF cards a seperate backup/review device is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.
Were they 12 or 14 bit NEFs? It makes all the difference with kitchen sinks
-
Yup, Newegg is the bomb with the Transcend cards! I got one earlier this week when I saw the prices coming down! Bye-bye 6" stack of 1GB and 4GB cards!
-
There's a rumor going around that you only took 1100 shots, and then duped them in Lightroom...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
My lawyer was there when I broke the record, he can testify!
If you go trekking, and take two 32-gig cards...uh, how long will that take you to download? Can you stop in the middle? Or just leave them overnight?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Actually, it is not that bad. I just plugged the card in the USB port of my Dell screen (not the fastest card reading device by any means), and the download was done in about one hour (I didn't time it exactly though). That's about 10 MB/s sustained. I could probable double that with a faster reader.
I am sure that I will in fact end up saving time since I can just start the process and do something else, without having to do switch cards every 5 minutes when I deal with smaller cards. I often do something else in the mean time and end up forgetting to check if a card is done...
The Mac Pro did however protest officially against the storage of so many kitchen sink images on its boot disk because of possible rust issues... go figure.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Bernard's going quite a long way to proving an earlier statement of mine that with the D3 and a few 'relatively' inexpensive high capacity CF cards a seperate backup/review device is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's precisely the plan. I am planning a 3.5 weeks trek to Nepal in April where we hope to go as high as 5600 m (about 17.000 feet), and the only technologically sound option other than CF would be to buy a 64 GB SSD and put it inside an Epson electronic wallet... but the price would be way higher than CF with no measurable advantage, and significantly less capacity (you can buy easily 2x 4x32GB CF = 128GB backed up for the price of a 64GB SSD + Epson base).
In camera RAID 1 has the advantage of back uping every image the second it is shot. The pain of having to wait hours every night to back up the cards on a reader is gone.
Besides, CF cards are much lighter than a portable SSD wallet, don't require any additional power source, reduce the inventory (risk of losing items/having some stolen, less complex packing,...).
This RAID feature alone would be enough for me to buy a D3 if I didn't have one already.
Were they 12 or 14 bit NEFs? It makes all the difference with kitchen sinks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Important point for sure, but I did indeed perform the entire job on 14 bits, anticipating possible heavy PS post-processing and large prints.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
hopefully not all 600,000 frames are of the same sink, if so it would definitely be a record!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178130\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am still not 100% sure of what I will do...
Cheers,
Bernard
-
I am still not 100% sure of what I will do...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ah, que voilà enfin un Artiste digne de la France qui se lève tôt!
N'écoutez pas nos amis américains, ils sont gentils (enfin, surtout George) mais ils n'y connaissent rien à l'Art (ce n'est pas pour rien que le Louvre est à Paris, quand même!).
Nous aurions besoin de refaire la déco des tuyaux du Centre Pompidou, nous pensions à embaucher des peintres (il y en a plein de disponibles au centre de Vincennes, ça paierait leur billet d'avion à cette bande de feignants), mais votre travail nous semble particulièrement intéressant...
Recontactez-nous dès que possible, merci.
Nicolas S.
-
I am still not 100% sure of what I will do...
Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bernard,
Are you at least going to post a small jpeg of this now famous sink!!
The more technical folks will want the raw also.
Bob
-
Nous aurions besoin de refaire la déco des tuyaux du Centre Pompidou, nous pensions à embaucher des peintres (il y en a plein de disponibles au centre de Vincennes, ça paierait leur billet d'avion à cette bande de feignants), mais votre travail nous semble particulièrement intéressant...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Je comprends bien sur - et apprecie a sa juste valeur - votre interet pour mes travaux recents.
Toutefois, je tiens a insister sur la dimension intimement personnelle de ma relation a la plomberie. Compte tenu de la publicite probable liee a la refonte des visuels du centre, je ne peux que craindre une dilution de mes influx creatifs.
J'ai donc le regret de vous conseiller de travailler comme prevu avec vos amis Vincenois (?).
Votre deception sera, je l'espere, temperee par la revelation d'un fait capital - mais sans doute im-pertinent a plus d'un titre (allusion a l'al-chime qui ne vous aura pas echapee) - je suis en fait Belge!
Cordialement,
Bernard
-
Are you at least going to post a small jpeg of this now famous sink!!
The more technical folks will want the raw also.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'll think of it... as I wrote in French just above, this is a dimension of my work that I consider to be very intimate... and I don't know if I am ready to share this with the World just yet.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Votre deception sera, je l'espere, temperee par la revelation d'un fait capital - mais sans doute im-pertinent a plus d'un titre (allusion a l'al-chime qui ne vous aura pas echapee) - je suis en fait Belge!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=178223\")
You mean, Al-Chimayiste? Ils sont fous, ces plombiers...
Nicolas, just after a Red one (hoping this turns not out into a too private joke, sorry, but at least this could civilize some of our american friends by showing [a href=\"http://www.chimay.com/]what is a good beer when we're not kidding[/url] ;o)
-
Bernard, there is something about your sink story that just doesn't wash!
-
Bernard -- I've been looking at the New Egg prices on CF cards and they're pretty unbelievable...but I think I'll probably stick with 4 or 8 meg cards, just because I worry about carrying too much data on one card -- if there were a mechanical or electrical mishap of some kind. I'd prefer smaller amounts of data on several cards, which could then be kept in separate waterproof/insulated holders -- perhaps you could even convince somebody else to carry one set of cards for you, and return for carrying something of theirs...this is all just the "too many eggs in one basket" worry.
Maybe you could use 4-meg cards for basic picture taking, and just leave a 32-meg card in the second slot, as the backup...
I have a D3 as a primary camera, and just took possession of a D300 today as a backup -- I deliberately went for the D300 as opposed to a second D3 because of the extra pixel density at the long end, and because it's really been getting good reviews. I notice, however, that it only has one card slot...
JC