Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: dobson on February 20, 2008, 10:44:29 pm

Title: Canon Lens Repair
Post by: dobson on February 20, 2008, 10:44:29 pm
I just dropped my lens. I want to know what the rest of you would do.

The back two elements came out of their seating. Messing around with them a bit shows that the mounts they go in are intact and fit snugly. The internal servos and mechanisms seem to work. I could probably re-assemble the lens with a steady hand and some butyl-acrylate without too much work.

My question is, should I send it to Canon or someone to repair it? Is it worth the time and money on a relatively inexpensive lens. Or should I repair it myself. I'm reasonably confident in my ability to repair it (unless there's some trick I don't know about).
Title: Canon Lens Repair
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 20, 2008, 11:49:49 pm
Quote
I just dropped my lens. I want to know what the rest of you would do.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176328\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would cry.

Actually, I've been there and done that, but with my old Pentax 67 II. Not being used to the quick release on my tripod, I hadn't secured it as I had thought. The camera fell off in a parking lot, heavily damaging the expensive pentaprism, which I sent back to Pentax. They returned it to me saying it couldn't be fixed, so I ended up buying a replacement (ouch).

For a lens, I would be very much concerned about being sure the elements were aligned and positioned perfectly. Otherwise you could end up with one very fuzzy soft-focus lens.

For the 50 1.4 I would probably buy a new one (and use the old one for a peperweight.) Just one opinion.
Title: Canon Lens Repair
Post by: DavidJ on February 23, 2008, 06:29:44 pm
Exactly the same happened to me when I dropped the 50 mm f1.4 on a shoot last summer. The back two elements fell out. It is now a paper weight.

David
Title: Canon Lens Repair
Post by: idofotos on February 25, 2008, 09:58:53 am
Quote
I just dropped my lens. I want to know what the rest of you would do.

The back two elements came out of their seating. Messing around with them a bit shows that the mounts they go in are intact and fit snugly. The internal servos and mechanisms seem to work. I could probably re-assemble the lens with a steady hand and some butyl-acrylate without too much work.

My question is, should I send it to Canon or someone to repair it? Is it worth the time and money on a relatively inexpensive lens. Or should I repair it myself. I'm reasonably confident in my ability to repair it (unless there's some trick I don't know about).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176328\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I have had really good luck with Keh I seemed to have developed a habit of dropping equipment, last year
They fixed my D2hs for around $200. then in Dec I dropped my 70-200 vr Nikon quoted me over $800, I called Keh & they said send it in but thought they could do better so far the had to replace the mount to see what else was damaged  & that is $150. I havent gotten it back yet but feel they have been very good & fair so far, this is about a $1500 lens  so I have to fix it, insurance wasnt much help, hope this helps