Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on November 09, 2007, 12:52:50 pm

Title: Comments?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 09, 2007, 12:52:50 pm
All comments gratefully received. I rather liked the old/new juxtaposition.

Extra points for anyone who identifies the building, too.

Jeremy

[attachment=3777:attachment]
Title: Comments?
Post by: LoisWakeman on November 13, 2007, 07:14:00 am
A long time since I visited, so no idea! The juxtaposition is a nice idea: but this feels rather cramped width-wise for reasons I can't quite articulate. I think subjects like this work best with extreme formality of perspective and composition, or else jarring asymmetry; this falls between the two.
Title: Comments?
Post by: Rob C on November 13, 2007, 07:58:53 am
Quote
A long time since I visited, so no idea! The juxtaposition is a nice idea: but this feels rather cramped width-wise for reasons I can't quite articulate. I think subjects like this work best with extreme formality of perspective and composition, or else jarring asymmetry; this falls between the two.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


What you ´can´t quite articulate,´ I think, is that there´s no prime subject: simply part of a crane or other such construct and part of an old building. Per se, as in that manner, not a subject, hence not a picture.

Sorry - Rob C
Title: Comments?
Post by: blansky on November 13, 2007, 11:34:27 am
I agree with the above comments. However to perhaps "save" this image you may want to crop horizontal with just the snakes on the building and the crane.

This could perhaps give an impression of the "old" guarded by the snakes, reacting to the encroachment of the "new", the crane.

Still not a great image because the snakes are rather small (say, compared to a gargoyle) but still could have some impact.


Michael
Title: Comments?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 14, 2007, 02:19:55 pm
Quote
I agree with the above comments. However to perhaps "save" this image you may want to crop horizontal with just the snakes on the building and the crane.

This could perhaps give an impression of the "old" guarded by the snakes, reacting to the encroachment of the "new", the crane.

Still not a great image because the snakes are rather small (say, compared to a gargoyle) but still could have some impact.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see what you all mean. Something like this, perhaps?

Jeremy

PS: it's from the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona

[attachment=3842:attachment]
Title: Comments?
Post by: blansky on November 14, 2007, 02:26:02 pm
I still don't find it that strong, but you may try photoshopping it a bit to lighten the snakes and to try to make them stand out more so there are a focal point. BUT it has to be subtle and keep their texture.

I guess the exercise is to get more impact out of the snakes and their response to the encroachment.


Michael