Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Bobtrips on June 21, 2007, 10:32:05 am

Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: Bobtrips on June 21, 2007, 10:32:05 am
Now, it might be my computer.  If so, please enlighten me.  But....

I don't stay logged in on this site for very long any longer.  That's a pain, not because I want to post a lot.  I don't.  I don't have a lot of input on many of the topics.

But I do like to read the posts that interest me and when my log in gets dumped I loose the "something new"/"you've read this" tags.

I don't like having to log in every day.


What to do?  What to do?
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: francois on June 21, 2007, 10:46:34 am
Quote
Now, it might be my computer.  If so, please enlighten me.  But....

I don't stay logged in on this site for very long any longer.  That's a pain, not because I want to post a lot.  I don't.  I don't have a lot of input on many of the topics.

But I do like to read the posts that interest me and when my log in gets dumped I loose the "something new"/"you've read this" tags.

I don't like having to log in every day.
What to do?  What to do?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It happened to me this past winter. I cannot remember exactly what I did to fix it but I'm sure that I deleted my cookies & caches and it went away. I was using Safari on a Mac.
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: mbridgers on June 21, 2007, 11:28:34 am
It happened to me when I was going directly to the discussion forum, rather than through the front page.  When I changed my bookmark to go to the home page first, it started remembering my login info.  

I'm on Windows XP and IE 6 (at work) or Firefox.
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: DarkPenguin on June 21, 2007, 11:46:02 am
Depending on how I navigate the site I can end up at llvj.com or luminous-landscape.com.  If I go to the forum via llvj.com I lose my login.
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: Bobtrips on June 21, 2007, 12:02:00 pm
Further info...

I'm using WinXP and FireFox.  I've got my bookmark set to go directly to the Discussion Forums.

This is a relatively new problem.  And it happens with some, not all, other sites.

I've got a feeling that it's some kind of spam prevention attempt by site operators.

Or perhaps a change in the software used by this and similar sites.
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: francois on June 21, 2007, 12:15:42 pm
Quote
Further info...

I'm using WinXP and FireFox.  I've got my bookmark set to go directly to the Discussion Forums.

This is a relatively new problem.  And it happens with some, not all, other sites.

I've got a feeling that it's some kind of spam prevention attempt by site operators.

Or perhaps a change in the software used by this and similar sites.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not 100% sure but I remember that I had to turn "Block pop-up windows" OFF to login and then once it worked I could turn "Block pop-up windows" on again.
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: mguertin on June 21, 2007, 12:17:12 pm
Quote
Further info...

I'm using WinXP and FireFox.  I've got my bookmark set to go directly to the Discussion Forums.

This is a relatively new problem.  And it happens with some, not all, other sites.

I've got a feeling that it's some kind of spam prevention attempt by site operators.

Or perhaps a change in the software used by this and similar sites.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not a spam prevention attempt.  Try clearing your cookies and also make sure your computer has the correct time set (including daylight savings time if appliable, etc).
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: Bobtrips on June 21, 2007, 12:31:53 pm
Quote
Not a spam prevention attempt.  Try clearing your cookies and also make sure your computer has the correct time set (including daylight savings time if appliable, etc).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Tried that - cleared cookies and cleaned cache, time adjustment is auto and correct.

That is I cleared cookies and cleaned cache several days ago while having this problem on a different site.  So that isn't it unless there's something that reestablishes itself.

And if it is I want it to stop.

BTW, My Yahoo now drops your log in if you don't check in for 14 days....
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: larsrc on June 21, 2007, 01:57:06 pm
Quote
Tried that - cleared cookies and cleaned cache, time adjustment is auto and correct.

That is I cleared cookies and cleaned cache several days ago while having this problem on a different site.  So that isn't it unless there's something that reestablishes itself.

And if it is I want it to stop.

BTW, My Yahoo now drops your log in if you don't check in for 14 days....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you checked that you're not blocking cookies from here?  

-Lars
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: Bobtrips on June 21, 2007, 02:28:02 pm
Quote
Have you checked that you're not blocking cookies from here? 

-Lars
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124211\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not blocking cookies from here as far as I know.  Don't know how to block cookies or check to see if any are blocked.  Haven't found anything about blocking cookies in FF Tools.

I am blocking pop ups.
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: Bobtrips on June 21, 2007, 02:40:21 pm
Any chance it's a virus protection program that's knocking things out?

I just got an email from my credit union.  I lost the ability to log in there and they suggest virus software.

But their IT folks are screaming idiots....



(Broken clocks are right twice a day.)
Title: Having to log in (almost) every day...
Post by: Mark D Segal on July 13, 2007, 05:29:45 pm
The way to avoid this problem is very simple:

(1) Keep your L-L Cookie active and make L-L a trusted site in I.E.
(2) Once you log-in do not log out. (I forget - it's been a while, but when you next log-in if there is a check-box for "keep me logged-in on this computer" select it.)