Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: BobShram on March 04, 2007, 08:52:53 pm

Title: Epson 4000 convertion to B/W
Post by: BobShram on March 04, 2007, 08:52:53 pm
I am looking at the possibilities of purchasing a used Epson 4000 and converting it to Monochrome only. Has anyone done this? If so where would I get the inks and profiles to make it work.

Thanks Bob
Title: Epson 4000 convertion to B/W
Post by: Kirk Gittings on March 04, 2007, 09:06:57 pm
I'VE DONE IT. Cone Nuetral 7 inkset and the QUADTONE RIP. I don't have time to look up the links right now but if you Google those two names you will find it.
Title: Epson 4000 convertion to B/W
Post by: BobShram on March 05, 2007, 04:57:39 pm
Thanks Kirk. How did the whole thing go? where you satisfied with the results? Do you still use the printer set up?

I see that the inks are neutral and any tones come from the papers used. How did this work out

Thanks Bob
Title: Epson 4000 convertion to B/W
Post by: Kirk Gittings on March 05, 2007, 07:25:13 pm
bob see this:

cone (http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.15/.f)

At this point I like the Cone split tone inks with QTR for the 4000 for smooth tone prints and K3 inks with the ImagePrint Rip for contrastier prints as the K3 inks have a greater d-max than the Cone inks do. There is less clogging with the Cone inks and they are similar in light fastness to the K3 inks.
Title: Epson 4000 convertion to B/W
Post by: gfergeson on March 09, 2007, 05:45:56 pm
I am using the COne inks with a 2400 and I agree than the blacks from Epson are deeper but I have had issues with the Epson ABW driver regarding neutrality and also with matching screen tonality. With the QTR and Cone inks I get smoother tonal transitions and more predictable prints. Deeper black would be good but so far the tradeoff is good. I am looking for a used 4000 to convert to the Cone inks as the carts on the 4000 are too small for good economy. Has anyone uses the MIS inks with the 4000?