Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: jrmintz on January 22, 2007, 08:58:33 pm

Title: 30D color space question
Post by: jrmintz on January 22, 2007, 08:58:33 pm
Hi all,

I just noticed that my 30D gives me the option of using srgb or Adobe rgb. It had been set to the default srgb, but I changed it to Adobe RGB which is the space I use in Photoshop. I don't see any difference whatever, and my question is this: I shoot RAW almost exclusively. Isn't the color space irrelevant to a RAW file? Doesn't it only matter if I'm shooting jpegs?

Thanks,

Seth Glassman
Title: 30D color space question
Post by: feppe on January 22, 2007, 09:28:18 pm
Quote
Hi all,

I just noticed that my 30D gives me the option of using srgb or Adobe rgb. It had been set to the default srgb, but I changed it to Adobe RGB which is the space I use in Photoshop. I don't see any difference whatever, and my question is this: I shoot RAW almost exclusively. Isn't the color space irrelevant to a RAW file? Doesn't it only matter if I'm shooting jpegs?

Thanks,

Seth Glassman
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are correct. Colorspace doesn't matter with RAW. It only matters with JPEGs.
Title: 30D color space question
Post by: Richowens on January 22, 2007, 09:29:25 pm
Correct on both counts  

Rich
Title: 30D color space question
Post by: allan67 on January 23, 2007, 07:16:23 am
Quote
Hi all,

I just noticed that my 30D gives me the option of using srgb or Adobe rgb. It had been set to the default srgb, but I changed it to Adobe RGB which is the space I use in Photoshop. I don't see any difference whatever, and my question is this: I shoot RAW almost exclusively. Isn't the color space irrelevant to a RAW file? Doesn't it only matter if I'm shooting jpegs?

Thanks,

Seth Glassman
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will affect the in-camera preview and histogram. If you use histogram to judge your exposure, you'll get clipping warning much earlier with sRGB than with aRGB.
Contrast and white balance settings also affect the previews.

Allan
Title: 30D color space question
Post by: jrmintz on January 23, 2007, 08:18:04 am
Thank you, everyone.

Seth