Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bob_B on October 14, 2021, 10:26:36 am

Title: The Savage Mill Bridge
Post by: Bob_B on October 14, 2021, 10:26:36 am
From a photowalk in Savage Mill, Maryland, one of many interesting venues in this area. Savage Mill is a historic cotton mill complex in Savage, Maryland, and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Buildings in the complex date from 1822 to 1916.

The Bollman Truss Railroad Bridge in Savage is the sole surviving example of a revolutionary design in the history of American bridge engineering, and the first successful all-metal bridge design to be adopted and consistently used on a railroad. You have to love all those supports!

Thanks for stopping by, and please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments.
Title: Re: The Savage Mill Bridge
Post by: John R on October 14, 2021, 11:57:49 am
It's quite nice but doesn't have the ambiance of the last few images you posted. If I had to put my finger on it, I would say the light is flatter with less glow. Of course you had the sepia as well before.

JR
Title: Re: The Savage Mill Bridge
Post by: Bob_B on October 14, 2021, 05:48:34 pm
Thanks John R. You're right, and it's mainly a result of having full noon sun in the first set and a heavy overcast sky in this one. With your comment in mind, I bumped up the ambiance/luminosity in a version that I post on my blog, should you be interested. Oh, there is a subtle (too subtle, I guess) sepia tone on this photo. I remain undecided on how much sepia to use and when, so toning remains a work in progress. I appreciate your input!