Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: nemophoto on January 13, 2021, 04:44:21 pm
-
Though this may be more appropriate for the digital imaging section, this is as good a place to pose this question. Why bother shooting HEIF instead of RAW if you can't view them or work with them? I experimented with shooting a few frames with my R5. The ONLY programs that could actually even view them were Canon's DPP and PhotoMechanic 6. The ONLY ones. Lightroom couldn't open/view. Photoshop couldn't open/view. DxO Photolab 4 couldn't open/view. Capture One couldn't open/view. On1 Photo RAW 202 couldn't open/view. And finally, Affinity Photo could open/view. (In case you are wondering, yes, I do in fact own all these programs for various reasons, plus others I haven't mentioned.)
So, if none of the major players, or minor, can doing anything with these files, what good is shooting this file type? I shoot RAW all the time anyway and if i do shoot JPEGs, it's always with RAW. As a note of interest, I found it very interesting that aside from Canon, only Photo Mechanic could view these files.
-
From my limited reading of this HEIF is an eventual replacement option for JPG, not raw. So if you shoot raw then continue to do so.
Apple should be able to open it and Lightroom and Photoshop are also supposed to support it according to this
https://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/shooting/heif-what-you-need-to-know/
-
Thanks. I probably should have mentioned, but I work on a PC. That said, since all the programs are "agnostic", they should have been able to at least display the files. I shoot RAW+JPEG so the client can easily shots. I thought of HEIF on my Canon because it takes up a tad less space, but supposedly superior to JPEGs in a way. But, I don't want any headaches.
-
I don't know whether the same is true for Windows but my Mac's OS needed updating in order for Lightroom to open and show HEIFs. You would also probably need a fairly current version of Lightroom and Photoshop. Adobe's website should be able to give information on supported file formats.
-
I don't know whether the same is true for Windows but my Mac's OS needed updating in order for Lightroom to open and show HEIFs. You would also probably need a fairly current version of Lightroom and Photoshop. Adobe's website should be able to give information on supported file formats.
This appears to be so
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html
"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store
When opening HEIF/.heic files into Photoshop you may see one of the following messages:
Additional non Adobe software is needed to open .heic files
Install the required software so Photoshop can open this file.
Could not open "imagename.heic" because Photoshop cannot recognize the file extension.
Note: Canon HIF / HEIC Files are not supported. Use raw files from Canon cameras for best results."
-
I have the current versions of LR and PS installed. I have that extension already installed. The only thing that happens when you launch the extension for Windows is it opens the app "Photos", so not very helpful.
But I find this line most telling:
"Note: Canon HIF / HEIC Files are not supported. Use raw files from Canon cameras for best results."