Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 06, 2021, 03:55:26 pm

Title: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 06, 2021, 03:55:26 pm
The Everglades.

Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 06, 2021, 05:10:51 pm
I love the tonalities you've used for that friendly creature.
 Bravo!
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: David Eckels on January 06, 2021, 05:55:13 pm
Yikes!
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: RSL on January 06, 2021, 07:29:26 pm
I love the tonalities you've used for that friendly creature.
 Bravo!

+1
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: kers on January 06, 2021, 07:32:42 pm
A photo made 300 million years ago! well done...
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 07, 2021, 04:56:58 pm
Here is another one:
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 07, 2021, 08:55:46 pm
Another beauty!
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Alan Klein on January 07, 2021, 08:57:51 pm
Nice shots.  Where in the Everglades?
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: degrub on January 08, 2021, 12:29:43 am
Nice shots.  Where in the Everglades?

anywhere.
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 08, 2021, 03:37:57 am
Nice shots.  Where in the Everglades?

Big Cypress National Preserve.
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 08, 2021, 04:35:36 am
Both excellent, Slobodan. I think I prefer the second. How do they look on paper?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 08, 2021, 06:10:28 am
...How do they look on paper?

Like my stock returns... excellent... on paper... when I finally sell, however, who knows ;)

In all seriousness, have not printed it yet. I expect it will be difficult to print well.
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Alan Klein on January 08, 2021, 09:13:16 am
Big Cypress National Preserve.
I suppose CLyde Butcher's galleries are closed?
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 08, 2021, 09:27:07 am
I suppose CLyde Butcher's galleries are closed?

No. Visited. In fact,  the first alligator was photographed right there.
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Alan Klein on January 08, 2021, 09:52:07 am
No. Visited. In fact,  the first alligator was photographed right there.
Oh that's great.  I can't believe he walks around in the swamp shooting landscape pictures.  In any case, what did you think of his photos?  Did you see both his digital and film prints?
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 08, 2021, 11:08:42 am
... what did you think of his photos?  Did you see both his digital and film prints?

I didn't notice the separation in the gallery of digital vs. film.

As for his photography, I have mixed feelings. They are really impressive in all their enormous sizes, but reduced to a thumbnail or postcard, they are much less impressive, almost banal. The attractiveness lies in incredible details that 8x10 camera and 10' enlargements offer.

In his defense (if any needed), it is also incredible challenging to shoot the Everglades. It is often a huge mess of details, and hard to find appropriate composition. Color saves the day sometimes, though not for him.

Here are a couple of my attempts:
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: Alan Klein on January 08, 2021, 12:26:53 pm
These are nice shots. Florida is hard for photos.  What Butcher explains is that he uses big clouds as mountains.  They add drama, scale and make the repetitive ground view more interesting.  I saw his work in his Venice, FL gallery as well as his production facilities there where he did digital prints and chemical.  Impressive setup.  He's like Ansel Adams of the Everglades.
Title: Re: Nightlife in Florida
Post by: MattBurt on January 12, 2021, 03:06:06 pm
Love the gators and the highlights against the darkness. That works nicely but I agree it may not print well very easily.

I've also found Florida challenging to photograph. So different from what I'm used to.