Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: mseawell on November 28, 2020, 12:57:28 pm

Title: From the shore
Post by: mseawell on November 28, 2020, 12:57:28 pm
Antelope Island as the light fades...from the shore.

Fuji X-T4
Fujifilm 55-200
Adobe Lightroom
SEP/ST
Title: Re: From the shore
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 28, 2020, 02:01:24 pm
While the image is lovely, it appears, as presented here, oversharpened, with halos, noisy, and "crunchy."
Title: Re: From the shore
Post by: mseawell on November 28, 2020, 02:48:39 pm
Funny! I printed it and yep...crunchy. I like crunchy peanut butter or almond butter I will admit, not so much on my pictures! ;)

Ah well! Good to hear the truth from a friend! ;)

M
Title: Re: From the shore
Post by: guido on November 29, 2020, 05:59:18 am
Always good to check an image at 100% to see how things are holding up...
Title: Re: From the shore
Post by: francois on November 29, 2020, 09:19:30 am
Superb composition and treatment but I'm with both commenters, sharpening is on the hight side for me. That said, if the print is OK, then keep it as it is.
Title: Re: From the shore
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on November 29, 2020, 10:10:01 am
Funny! I printed it and yep...crunchy.

Have you tried to soften it back down a little to see if that helps?

There are several ways you can do this, such as using minus clarity etc, or the way that I prefer if I have gone a little too far into the 'crunchy' zone with my output sharpening, is to duplicate the layer in PS, then add a little Gaussian blur until it looks slightly too soft, then using the opacity slider to back off the upper layer until I get something I can live with - or an even simpler method, is to dupe the background layer as before and then run Despeckle on this new upper layer once or or even twice and then do the layer opacity blending thingmy again until you are happy.

Dave
Title: Re: From the shore
Post by: RSL on November 29, 2020, 10:42:18 am
Of course, if you've kept the original raw file (though I convert mine to .DNG), which you should, just go back to the original and start over with the whole thing. If the original is too noisy, the other life saver is PhotoLab's denoising process. By far the best I've ever used, and I've used a bunch of them.
Title: Re: From the shore
Post by: maddogmurph on November 29, 2020, 03:35:42 pm
Reminds me of a shot I have in Nepal of this fisherman... nice and simple. Conveys peaceful feelings.
Title: Re: From the shore
Post by: mseawell on November 29, 2020, 04:01:48 pm
Thanks all for the kind remarks and suggestions!  :)  Me being me started over and I have an image that has a nice soft feel to it, just like the moment!

Mark