Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on October 28, 2020, 06:56:29 am

Title: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on October 28, 2020, 06:56:29 am
Hi all,

Not been on here for a wee while, but anyway...

Here are a couple of very recent images of the autumn/fall colour bonanza that we have been experiencing up here in the NW of Scotland and I can honestly say, that in the 10 years that I have lived and photographed up here, that this year is (or at least was) the best show of autumn colour that I have ever seen. But alas a 60mph storm has now blown across Scotland over the past week and pretty much stripped away most of the leaves, so in a way I was lucky to grab these two shots  :)

All the best everyone - and if anyone wants to read my latest and continually updating free chapter guides to lots of other locations where I have been photographing in Scotland, then go here (http://skyephotoguide.com/extra.html)

Dave
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: Bob_B on October 28, 2020, 08:36:12 am
Gorgeous pair of photos. The first and its reflections is a masterpiece in serenity.
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: stamper on October 28, 2020, 09:40:20 am
Amazing!
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on October 28, 2020, 10:36:14 am
The colour and the mood in the first image - lovely.
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: francois on October 28, 2020, 12:39:26 pm
Two very contrasting shots. The first one is peaceful and relaxing as Bob wrote above and the second is is energetic and very powerful.

Bravo…
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 28, 2020, 12:55:27 pm
Lovely, both.
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on October 28, 2020, 07:25:30 pm
Thanks everyone.

I do hope you are all getting your own best shots of the amazing autumn colours this year, as it does seem to be have been a particularly good one and let's face it, we could all probably do with a reason to put even the briefest of a smile on our faces in light of what is happening around the world ;)

Dave
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: guido on October 29, 2020, 10:04:52 am
Fine work as usual my friend!
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: MattBurt on October 29, 2020, 10:57:34 am
Lovely photos and it does look like you had great color. We had a good run too but it is all down now here as well.
The shutter speed was perfect in the water shot. Just right.
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on October 30, 2020, 05:06:57 am
Good set. Tranquility and energy.
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on November 04, 2020, 12:30:41 pm
Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

The shutter speed was perfect in the water shot. Just right.

Yes Matt I always try to go for 1/10th of a second if I can, as that seems to be the speed that creates the effect I like most, but for this one I went for 1/5th instead, so maybe that is my new best shutter speed option for moving water if I can achieve it.  :)

Fine work as usual my friend!

 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Dave
Title: Re: Autumn in the Glens
Post by: MattBurt on November 05, 2020, 12:36:42 pm
Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Yes Matt I always try to go for 1/10th of a second if I can, as that seems to be the speed that creates the effect I like most, but for this one I went for 1/5th instead, so maybe that is my new best shutter speed option for moving water if I can achieve it.  :)

 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Dave

I've found that water tends to flow at different speeds as I imagine you have too.
So I don't have a favorite speed although I agree 1/10 and 1/5 are often the best for faster moving flows.