Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: narikin on September 15, 2020, 07:19:10 pm

Title: Most scratch resistant MK paper:ink combo?
Post by: narikin on September 15, 2020, 07:19:10 pm
Just to group source this: got a job where the photographer want to exhibit XL raw Matte prints on the wall.
the exhibition is in another country so I have to roll and ship them (prints around 40x60"). I'm used to that, not an issue.

MK prints are notoriously scratch-able, so what might be the most durable approach to all this?

They can't be sprayed (well, not here at least) so I wondered, do some MK papers have notably more durable surface than others?
or is it a function of the inkset more than anything?

Even with my limited MK experience, I have noticed an improvement in MK durability over the years, so thought it worth asking. 
I'll be printing on an Epson P20000, and #1 paper choices Moab Entrada Rag and/or Epson Legacy Fibre, tho' open to others.

I appreciate this is not a 'best practice' approach, but artists must do what artists must do, so let's roll with it!




Title: Re: Most scratch resistant MK paper:ink combo?
Post by: mearussi on September 15, 2020, 09:12:25 pm
Not that I know of. If I were you I try really hard to find someway to spray them.
Title: Re: Most scratch resistant MK paper:ink combo?
Post by: Paul_Roark on September 16, 2020, 12:25:21 pm
I have a matte canvas print on the wall of a friend, un-glazed.  I'm curious how long it will be before it's  damaged.  (It was a gift to the couple.)  I suspect it's not "if" but "when."  In the meantime, it looks great.  The lack of reflections makes a huge, positive difference in the particular hanging location of this print.

My experience with spraying matte prints is that it lowers the dmax and dynamic range.

I've moved to a satin finish paper as my standard.  When sprayed, its dmax usually increases, and I think its projected life (that is, probably, how long before damage) is likely much longer than an un-glazed matte paper or canvas.  Particularly in black and white, which is my medium, the dmax/dynamic range is critical.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Title: Re: Most scratch resistant MK paper:ink combo?
Post by: dgberg on September 16, 2020, 02:36:16 pm
Get them to switch to canvas and then spray them. We have also found the matte papers can take a light coat or two of spray but once it builds up it is no good and starts to destroy the look.
We have had very good luck with Dry Tac Art Shield Satinex laminate on fine art and photo papers. If you want to keep the look and have protection canvas is it.
Title: Re: Most scratch resistant MK paper:ink combo?
Post by: mearussi on September 16, 2020, 07:46:28 pm
I have a matte canvas print on the wall of a friend, un-glazed.  I'm curious how long it will be before it's  damaged.  (It was a gift to the couple.)  I suspect it's not "if" but "when."  In the meantime, it looks great.  The lack of reflections makes a huge, positive difference in the particular hanging location of this print.

My experience with spraying matte prints is that it lowers the dmax and dynamic range.

I've moved to a satin finish paper as my standard.  When sprayed, its dmax usually increases, and I think its projected life (that is, probably, how long before damage) is likely much longer than an un-glazed matte paper or canvas.  Particularly in black and white, which is my medium, the dmax/dynamic range is critical.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

I use Eco Print Shield glossy and it dramatically increased dmax and color saturation. It's also true that using a matte (or even satin) coating will make the print look muddy. But the real key is which canvas you use. If it has a very smooth surface like Lyve or even smoother Canson's Museum ProCanvas then you don't get the speckled reflections that are common on much rougher canvasses. My finished canvasses look like luster paper once they're coated.
Title: Re: Most scratch resistant MK paper:ink combo?
Post by: StuartR on September 17, 2020, 05:04:32 am
In my experience, the Japanese matte papers are more durable, as the long fibers in washi have better structural integrity than western papers. To keep a more standard look, you could consider the Bamboo paper or Inbe Thick White.
Title: Re: Most scratch resistant MK paper:ink combo?
Post by: LenR on September 28, 2020, 12:19:04 pm
Could this be a problem with over inking?

If all the ink is absorbed it shouldn't scratch easily.

Make a small test print and scratch it with your fingernail.If there's ink in in your fingernail you will need to do more ink limiting (reduction).

Title: Re: Most scratch resistant MK paper:ink combo?
Post by: narikin on September 29, 2020, 08:15:47 pm
Interesting thought. Thanks Len