Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on July 13, 2020, 08:52:56 am

Title: A sort of morning walk
Post by: David Eckels on July 13, 2020, 08:52:56 am
Sunrise through the mesquite leaves hitting the pods caught my eye. I went for a walk later, on a treadmill in the A/C. It's hot here!
Title: Re: A sort of morning walk
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2020, 11:59:31 am
Intriguing shots, both, but especially the first.
Title: Re: A sort of morning walk
Post by: David Eckels on July 13, 2020, 03:26:01 pm
Thanks, Eric. Appreciate you looking at them.
Title: Re: A sort of morning walk
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 13, 2020, 06:42:04 pm
Like Eric, I like the first image.
Title: Re: A sort of morning walk
Post by: David Eckels on July 14, 2020, 08:05:43 am
Thank you Rajan
Title: Re: A sort of morning walk
Post by: RSL on July 14, 2020, 10:24:56 am
I like the green/red contrast in #1, David, and the depth in #2 makes it a fine shot.
Title: Re: A sort of morning walk
Post by: David Eckels on July 14, 2020, 11:25:46 am
Thanks for that analysis, Russ. I'd wondered if I pushed the green/red a little too much. For the second, it is actually a two shot focus stack.
Title: Re: A sort of morning walk
Post by: RSL on July 14, 2020, 12:08:44 pm
I don't think you pushed the green too far, David. And the focus stack worked well. That's something you can't do when you're shooting street. As far as pushing the green is concerned, I sometimes do the reverse when I'm shooting on the river. The one from this morning is a good example. The green was too intense -- more intense than it seemed when I clicked the shutter. Had to back it off a bit to bring it into proper contrast with the blue of the flower. If you're making a photograph as a work of art, as opposed to reportage (photojournalism), the result is up to you, not up to what you think the reality was.