Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on October 03, 2019, 03:32:56 pm
-
Fall Tales from Iceland - 3. (https://blog.parrikar.com/2019/10/03/fall-tales-from-iceland-3/)
-
Lovely, Rajan. Glad the colour arrived eventually.
Jeremy
-
I find the third one great
-
They are quite lovely.
I never saw any trees as big as you've been showing back in 1874. My visit was shortly after the government fenced off some areas to start some forests. The fences were intended to keep the sheep from eating the saplings.
-
#2 is very nice, with the human scale.
-
Nice set with the 3rd one being my favorite. I especially like the combination of fall colors and the blue water as well as the diagonal composition…
-
Jeremy, Rabanito, Eric, Paulo and Francois - thank you.
Eric - Your observation is largely on point. But there are traditional forests of birch, with rowan, tea-leaved willow and aspens thrown. These are trees native to Iceland. All the photos in my post feature these old forests. You just have to go to the right places to see them.
Afforestation efforts in Iceland are relatively recent and don't cover all that much. As a result, you find sporadic patches of larch, Alaska spruce and poplar which have been recently introduced (spruce ruins it for me as it doesn't suit the Icelandic landscape, in my view).
Old Icelandic joke:
Q: What do you do if you are lost in an Icelandic forest?
A: Stand up.
-
Yes, I'd heard that old Icelandic joke back in 1974.