Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: maddogmurph on September 08, 2019, 01:10:18 am

Title: Storm Dwellers
Post by: maddogmurph on September 08, 2019, 01:10:18 am
What's worse than hatched dinosaur eggs?
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 08, 2019, 08:28:22 am
"Hatched" is fine, but "Storm Dweller" is superb.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 08, 2019, 09:50:06 am
"Hatched" is fine, but "Storm Dweller" is superb.

-1*

* if the minus sign means “the other way around” 😉
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: francois on September 08, 2019, 10:39:20 am
I like the dino's eggs but the first one is stunning and is my favorite.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 08, 2019, 12:42:51 pm
-1*

* if the minus sign means “the other way around” 😉
Good.
Because "When everybody..."    ;D
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: maddogmurph on September 08, 2019, 01:17:47 pm
-1*

* if the minus sign means “the other way around” 😉

I think "-1" is when you've been eaten by the dinosaur.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 08, 2019, 01:36:31 pm
I think "-1" is when you've been eaten by the dinosaur.

It is a 50/50 chance of that. Either I will, or I won't ;)
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: armand on September 08, 2019, 04:01:14 pm
It is a 50/50 chance of that. Either I will, or I won't ;)

I don't think statistics work this way  ;)

Either way I'm with you on this one, I definitely prefer the second.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Alan Klein on September 08, 2019, 04:37:59 pm
Nice shots Murph.  I would prefer them a little brighter.  Where were these taken?
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: maddogmurph on September 08, 2019, 10:30:43 pm
Nice shots Murph.  I would prefer them a little brighter.  Where were these taken?

The first is Canyonlands, near the Mesa Arch but on the other side. And the second is Bisti Badlands.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Arlen on September 08, 2019, 11:19:13 pm
Put me down as a fan of the second one. Unusual and eye-catching.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on September 09, 2019, 05:26:55 am
Put me down as a fan of the second one. Unusual and eye-catching.

Me too.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Alan Klein on September 09, 2019, 09:32:05 am
The first is Canyonlands, near the Mesa Arch but on the other side. And the second is Bisti Badlands.
OK I recognize it now.  That's the Green River overlook in Canyonlands.  Beautiful spot. Here're my daytime shots of it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/41915179942/in/album-72157694819890421/ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/41915179942/in/album-72157694819890421/)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/41060603615/in/album-72157694819890421/ (https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/41060603615/in/album-72157694819890421/)

Mesa Arch is in Arches National Park about 30 miles east.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 09, 2019, 09:37:34 am
... Here're my daytime shots of it...

You were lucky. Your camera didn't malfunction and underexposed the shot, like Murph's ;)
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: mistymornings99 on September 09, 2019, 12:16:59 pm
I think you've handled the processing of #1 perfectly to create a very strong image.

The second is certainly better than my attempt when I was there quite a few years ago. 
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Alan Klein on September 09, 2019, 01:24:29 pm
I like your 1 ires dark and foreboding sky especially.  #2 is done very well too.
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on September 09, 2019, 04:52:49 pm
I really like both of these images and would suggest that you don't listen to the naysayers about how you have under processed them, or under exposed them etc., as that is and should always be your choice and for my money you have worked them both very nicely  ;)

You know just because we all have 15+ stop cameras these days and the processing tools to squeeze every drop of detail out of every single pixel in an image, it doesn't mean we have to - and before anyone reminds me, yes I do include myself as someone who is guilty of doing just that from time to time.  :D

So yes, I like the apparent restrain that has been applied to both these images and I think it works really well.

Dave
Title: Re: Storm Dwellers
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 09, 2019, 06:05:42 pm
I suspect that one reason I didn't respond initially to the second image was jealousy.
On my one trip to Bisti the light was uninspiring and I didn't get anything worth posting, although it was obviously a fantastic place.   :(